Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water filters

hacker extraordinaire

Water filters

Do you find it necessary to use a water filter when using city tap water? Have you ever had an actual particulate problem using unfiltered water? I am building a water panel and although I have never had a problem using unfiltered tap water, I am debating adding a filter. Where do you buy water filters, anyway?
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Re: Water filters

There can be times (usually winter storms) when we might get a load of dirt thru the lines. Sometimes it is because they are working on the water supply pipelines. The only water we filter are the sinks where the students develop film. Hardware stores carry them.

I am always amazed at the crap that gets filtered out of my water. Of course, that is the sum of filtering many gallons but every little spec could end up on a negative. Better safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I am always amazed at the crap that gets filtered out of my water.
    So am I.

I use 2 micron filters on both the hot and cold lines, and I'm disappointed in how often I need to change them.

- Leigh

I've switched to distilled for everything but rinse water. I filter rinse water.

I was shocked by the scale that is in my distiller, if that's any indication.

Octogenarian

Ever since I found out that the so called "distilled" water sold in grocery stores was actually filtered tap water, I have been using water from the dispenser that is built into the door of my refrigerator. It's tap water that is filtered through a two micron filter. That's the water I use for mixing the processing chemicals in the darkroom.

(A simple method of regulating the temperature of the water; if too cold, warm it in the microwave, if too warm, add ice from the dispenser).

For washing film, I use tap water that is filtered through a five micron water filter purchased at Home Depot. The filter is connected to the film washer inlet with flexible tubing, and the outlet drains into the sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Ever since I found out that the so called "distilled" water sold in grocery stores was actually filtered tap water, I have been using water from the dispenser that is built into the door of my refrigerator.
    They don't sell distilled water here. They only sell bottled water / spring water. Both of which are fancy names for tap water in a plastic container. Mineral water is the same thing with extra minerals added, possibly (minerals are bad for film, in case that wasn't clear).

hacker extraordinaire

I used to be able to get real 18Mohm-cm ultrapure deionized water from the university, and take it home by the 5-gallon jug, but ever since I got a real job, deionized water is actually a controlled chemical like any other so I can't just take it home in a bottle. Photoflo is optional with ultrapure water...you can actually spray it on clean glass, let it evaporate, and there will be no spots left at all from the droplets. I have taken to buying distilled water for the final rinse, but I'm wondering if it's worth the money over filtered tap water since I don't think it's actually steam-distilled. When I mix record cleaning fluid using grocery store "distilled" water, it will definitely leave water spots if you just let it evaporate.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    ......but I'm wondering if it's worth the money over filtered tap water since I don't think it's actually steam-distilled. When I mix record cleaning fluid using grocery store "distilled" water, it will definitely leave water spots if you just let it evaporate.

That is discouraging, I buy distilled water for my pyro developing.

In Montreal, 2 of the biggest selling bottle water brands state on the label that tap water is the source. The mayor is trying to get bottled water banned within the city.

When we had a darkroom at the newspaper, we always used filters and it was shocking to see how much crud they picked up.

I solved the problem years ago by installing a reverse osmosis system. It has paid for itself many times over.