Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Uneven 8x10 Negs in Pyrocat-HD

Re: Uneven 8x10 Negs in Pyrocat-HD

For the absolute ultimate in even development, I recommend brush development of one sheet at a time. This method doesn't require an excess of development solution, or even oversized trays. You can even process in a single tray, using the developer one shot. The downsides are the tedium of working in the dark, and the time required to develop one sheet at a time. For me, this method is best suited to large sheets of ortho film, but it works with any size and sensitivity. I think the method was introduced by astrophotographers who used glass plates, and require absolutely even development. Brush development works very well with intermittent agitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    For the absolute ultimate in even development, I recommend brush development of one sheet at a time. This method doesn't require an excess of development solution, or even oversized trays. You can even process in a single tray, using the developer one shot. The downsides are the tedium of working in the dark, and the time required to develop one sheet at a time. For me, this method is best suited to large sheets of ortho film, but it works with any size and sensitivity. I think the method was introduced by astrophotographers who used glass plates, and require absolutely even development. Brush development works very well with intermittent agitation.
    Jay - I actually considered experimenting with brush development but figured that it might be difficult to be consistent in developing to a specific CI. It's a great idea though, and would warrant a brush width wider than a few inches I imagine. Thanks!

Good luck, Mike!