Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Uneven 8x10 Negs in Pyrocat-HD

Re: Uneven 8x10 Negs in Pyrocat-HD

Thanks John,

I sent Steve a PM.

Mike,

Last January I had serious problems with 8*10 and Pyrocat-HD ina print drum. I eventually solved it by switching to a Paterson Orbital. I do not know if that is an option for you, but you might want to read about it here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ht=cor+orbital

Best,

Cor

Hi Cor,

Have you used the Paterson Orbital with other agitation schemes like minimal agitation? I'd be really curious to hear the results. Thanks for that info.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I am not sure if an Orbital is the right device for semi-stand since it's bottom is curved, I think it is meant for continuous agitation. I use a lab shaker for that.

I have only varied the rotation speed, and I have used a relative large volume (300 ml) of developer.

good luck,

cor

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Hi Mikew,

I sometimes had uneven negatives developed in Pyrocat with my handrolled Jobo drum. More with 810 and bigger negatives. Vertical streaks about 1.5" wide. I think my problem was caused mainly by the fact that I poured the developer with the drum standing still not rolling horizontally.

This happened to 10-20% of my negatives and it was so frustrating that I switched to D-76 a few months ago. Now my negatives are beautiful and no streaks at all.

Hugo
    Hugo,
    I have also seen this phenomenon with Jobo tanks. I only fill 3 of the 5 slots in my 3005 tank and 3 of 4 in my Jobo 3004 tanks and have not had any issues as long as I pour the developer in on the side where there is no film loaded. I use pyrocat-hd all the time and do pt/pd printing. I also have no darkroom.

Diane

Diane, BTW which dilution do you use to develop your films in Pyrocat HD for pt/pd? 2+2+100?
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Maher View Post
    Hugo,
    I have also seen this phenomenon with Jobo tanks. I only fill 3 of the 5 slots in my 3005 tank and 3 of 4 in my Jobo 3004 tanks and have not had any issues as long as I pour the developer in on the side where there is no film loaded. I use pyrocat-hd all the time and do pt/pd printing. I also have no darkroom.

Diane

Diane,

So you just skip the water soak? Load three sheets of film and pour the developer into the twoempty slots ans cover the cap and roll?

That's an interesting idea, but won't solve my 16x20 problem with Pyrocat.

Thanks.
    Hugo

Hi Mikew,

I had some problems with evenness processing 8x10 (FP4) in a tray using pyrocat-HD, 1:1:100. I finally went to 3 liters of working solution in an 11x14 tray and have had no problems. I don't think it was a matter of exhausting the developer when I was using 1.5 or 2 liters but that the film was just spending too much time tipped out of the developer when I was pulling a sheet out from the bottom to agitate. With 3 liters the top sheet in the stack is still well under the solution. I do 4-8 sheets (DBI) at a time. Presoak in water for two shuffles, transfer the entire stack to the developer, do two shuffles then wait 30 seconds between shuffles. Start looking at 7 minutes. No problems now, even with open skies. I do not rotate the stack. Times are 7 to 20 minutes at 70 degrees. Print on Azo or Lodima.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    Hi Mike,

I am not sure if an Orbital is the right device for semi-stand since it's bottom is curved, I think it is meant for continuous agitation. I use a lab shaker for that.

I have only varied the rotation speed, and I have used a relative large volume (300 ml) of developer.

good luck,

cor
    That was my initial thought. But it looks great for continuous agitation. I never even knew that those existed. Thanks Cor.

Hi Henry. I had the same issue with using too little developer. But the real problem that I've had with tray development - other than unevenness with minimal agitation - is how sensitive the emulsion is before it's hardened "enough." It seems like my film (FP4) is really easily marked during that first 2min of development -- in particular from any pressing down of the film motions. It's not so much a big deal with 4x5 because the format is easier to handle but I've found that it's a challenge with 8x10. I think I may be handling the film too much however.

Thanks Henry.