Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: My New Mule

Re: My New Mule

An airhead isn't all that much heavier at about 420# dry weight than your dual sport.
    If you can afford it get a Uni-Go trailer. Custom hitches are a couple hundred bucks.

Robert, are you planning on adding a top trunk to the bike? Some of the heavy duty off road gear from Touratech is very nice but $$$.
    How are you planning on caring the tripod? Just curious as I am considering this transportation option. However, I am a little worried caring an 8X10 on the bike. I have carried digital (there goes that word again), 35mm and MF on road trips. I haven't attempted LF cameras just yet.
    Considering fuel hitting $5 a gallon this summer, packing gear on my touring bike that gets 40+ mpg vs. 20 mpg in my Volvo wagon is tempting.

I would be very careful in the descision. I am 47 now but three years ago bought a Gaint Cyprus DX. Not a mountain bike nor a racing bike. Two years ago I was road riding and got thrown over the handle bars. I swear I fractured both wrists comming down but because I have terrible health insurance never got them x-rayed or set. I still have some pain and I guess given how I wrecked am lucky to be here. If I had had gear on my back maybe would not be writing now. I have biked with cameras and my 4x5 in a knapsack,.... it's not easy you certainly should go the way of saddle bags...versus a knapsack.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebes View Post
    Now you all have me considering getting a bike for my midlife crisis.

I can see the sensibility of it for photographic trips, in a way. I hesitate to take our "family car" down really nasty roads, worried I will break it in some inopportune place. A dual-sport bike could get more places, with less risk to the pocket, on a third of the gas our suv slurps.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

I am planning on adding a top trunk for extra gear. True, I could use the bike just for scouting the shots I wish to make. This would be most economical. But why not pack my gear? The tripod is easy, across the top. The light may be most perfect at the time I am scouting a site, and if I did not have the camera, I would lose that optimum moment of exposure. I'm not young(at58), but I do have the strength any energy and desire to make adventures with my equipment. I don't need a motel. Tent will do thanks. I can protect my gear, and send exposed holders home, with pre loaded holders mailed to Whitehorse,Yukon, or Hubbell trading post AZ, on the Navajo Res. I have a good friend there. Why not? Only 100 years ago, photographers roamed the West, in wagons, with glass plates, no less! Yes, I can shoot with modern equipment on the "mule".

The 8x10, is a concern.I may not be able to pack it.I use old cameras. 4x5 Korona. 5x7 Korona. 8x10 2D. Beaters........with nice glass attached! A responder to this thread did suggest a protective foam for G glass. I feel that the shutter mechanisms/springs,etc, on my archaic Schneider S lenses are hardy. I would be more concerned with a Hasselblad delicate shutter release being damaged due to vibration. Guess I'll find out. Copal shutters are simple critters. I have repaired a few. No expert though.

Seems kind of pointless to argue about safety to bikers. I say let Darwin sort them out.

ARS KC2UU

Frank:

Darwin doesn't worry me.

It's the cell-phone yapping soccer moms and New-Turks of Text that have me cutting back on my own biking time.

Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

some say you catch colds being out in the rain, too

so
    you better get a canopy thing attached to your new bike

time to dieeee

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by sun of sand View Post
    some say you catch colds being out in the rain, too

so
    you better get a canopy thing attached to your new bike

time to dieeee
    Nonsense. You catch colds from exposure to germs.

When riding in the rain you simply "catch-cold."

Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

Will be loading the 4x5 and the old Ries tripod on the mule tomorrow for a trip up the north coast, and through the Santa Cruz mountains. The 4x5 will be fine, and 5x7 too as far as vibration, I believe. We'll see. I'll report back. Many are afraid of losing their lives on a bike. Too dangerous. Need a comfort zone. Then there are those of us who enjoy the freedom and adventure, being out in the wind.(with LF gear on the back). What better than to blend that adventure with the chance to make a great image. I admire A.A. for his images, and expertise, and teaching, but also his knack to set up fast,load,and shoot. Let's see. Kickstand down, tripod up with camera, meter, focus, shoot. Life is supposed to be a joy, right? Robert