Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cambo sc lens and board combo

cambo sc lens and board combo

Hi,

I've checked over the threads and haven't been able to find a simple answer to my issue. I just obtained a cambo sc with 5 film holders. Now, my question is, what do I need to get up and running lens-wise. I'm stuck on being able to match up a lens with a lens board. Totally dumbfounded by the copal sizes and holes thing (sorry if I'm slow on the uptake)

I'm looking for a starter wide angle lens to use for urban and rural landscape photography. I found a 90 F4.5 CAMBONAR WITH HORSEMAN BOARD (MEGAVISION T2/T32) lens on keh.com but have no idea what lens board I would need with it and what else I would need. The lens goes for 139.00 so that gives you an idea of my budget. I've worked with medium format and I'm just trying large format out so I don't want to dive into a financial pit yet.

So, sorry for the basic question. I did look through the various beginner guides but just haven't been able to figure it out.

Thanks for any help.

Re: cambo sc lens and board combo

Sorry, just realized I should have posted this in the lens section.

Whoa stop right there. The Megavision was a really early digital scanning back camera I believe. You will not get a working shutter with that item. You are better off looking for an older Super Angulon with a working shutter. In KEH lingo it will say something like 90mm Super Angluon f/8 Synchro-Compur (or Compur or Copal). The hole size is just the size in mm of the board. So if your camera takes XX size lensboards don't get a lens that is too big for your camera.

As domaz said, KEH listings will include the shutter type and mounting size:

For example:

90 F5.6 SUPER ANGULON MC COPAL BULB, TIME (4X5)(35 MOUNT), LARGE FORMAT VIEW LENS

"35 mount" indicates you need a board with a 35mm hole (Copal #0, I think)

These things are somewhat inexact. The board you would want for this would be:
    CAMBO 34 HOLE LENS BOARD

Or you could look on Ebay and elsewhere for a #0 board.

An extra complication here is that you will likely need a recessed board to use a 90mm on the Cambo SC. I do on my SCII.

So then you would want CAMBO SC 34 HOLE RECESSED LENS BOARD

In all, you might be happier with a 135mm. It will feel wider than the "35mm equivalent" numbers will suggest.

I agree somehow 90mm on Large Format seems "really wide" even though it is the supposed 28mm equivalent in 35mm format. Something about seeing that big image in the ground glass maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by awldune View Post
    An extra complication here is that you will likely need a recessed board to use a 90mm on the Cambo SC. I do on my SCII
    I used to use a recessed lens board with a 90/5.6 Super Angulon on my Cambo, but could not tolerate digging down into that recess to make adjustments. And tilting the lens board also causes a shift. I just can't stand recessed boards.

But with my Cambo, the bag bellows made it unnecessary to use the recessed board.

Shorter than 90, though, was a problem, and why I switched to Sinar ultimately.

90 has alway seemed to me more like 24 (in 35mm format), which is generally one of my favorite focal lengths in small format. I like my 90 on the view camera with 4x5 film, but I probably use the 121 as often.

Rick "bag bellows are cheap for this camera" Denney

Thanks for the great advice. I'm really going to have to think about what to do next with the camera. I'm a bit torn because I was hoping to be able to go wider than a 24mm equivalent, but I guess I should have done my research first. The cambo was just a great deal on CL. I think it may end up on feebay and I'll be back on the search.

Quote Originally Posted by thefilmguy2009 View Post
    Thanks for the great advice. I'm really going to have to think about what to do next with the camera. I'm a bit torn because I was hoping to be able to go wider than a 24mm equivalent, but I guess I should have done my research first. The cambo was just a great deal on CL. I think it may end up on feebay and I'll be back on the search.
    That camera will lose no value if you use it a bit first. Put a 90 on it and try it out. The lens will happily mount on some other camera if you go that way, and a lens board and bag bellows will add to what you have to sell. Everything else you buy--film holders, tripod heads, focusing cloths, meters--all that will stay with you even if the camera departs. Buying a camera is not a marriage--you don't have to abstain until the right one comes along, and it won't throw dishes at you if you break up with it. The SC is a good camera for many things, and you already own it. What you learn using it will make your next selection far easier.

Rick "a self-described wide-angle freak who still used a Cambo for many, many years" Denney