Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking about an ultralight Series 0 Gitzo tripod, a couple of questions.

Drew Wiley

Re: Thinking about an ultralight Series 0 Gitzo tripod, a couple of questions.

I think these Feisol tripods have been re-engineered, and haven't heard anything negative so far. Something like a 3442 looks appropriate for a lightwt 4x5. I personally
    bought a CT3472 for my 8X10 for special travel needs, or as old age insurance when
    my big Ries tripod might seem too heavy someday (it's half the wt of the Ries)- but it's overkill for 4x5. But there are other choices besides Gitzo and Feisol, like Induro.

Honestly speaking, i advice you to go with Gitzo series 2 or 3, i use Series 5 and i never look back, it is heavy yes, but if i want something lighter then i use Series 3, it is light enough for me, if i want more lighter then i use Series 2, it is crazy lightweight, because i have also Series 1 traveler tripod i really didn't like it because many times i feel if a bit strong wind is there or if i just push the tripod slightly by mistake then the tripod will fall off, so i just use Series 2 up to 5 and never think about Series 0[don't have] or 1.

Nicolas,

I just got back from Patagonia (around Bariloche and Esquel) and used a Gitzo GT3541LS combined with a RRS BH55 ballhead for my Chamonix 4x5 and it is a rock solid combination. The tripod and ballhead together weigh 2,57kg so I don't know if that's too heavy for backpacking as I was travelling by car and doing only short hikes :-)

lazy retired bum

I have used a Gitzo CF 1227 (now discontinued) with an Arca Field 4x5, as well as a D700 and 70-200 and it was iffy with both cameras. The issues are top heaviness and even minor vibration. You are likely much younger and stronger than I (and many of the members of this forum) and can carry more weight. It seems to me, personal opinion, of course, that if you are going to the trouble of taking a 4x5 into the field in Patagonia, you should not skimp on a tripod that will adequately support the camera. It's like putting bicycle tires on a Ferrari, they might hold it up, but won't function well under any kind of a load. Fine tuning is great, but in my opinion, the tripod is such an important part of the photo with a 4x5, that you're putting your effort in the wrong place. Just because a tripod won't collapse, does not mean it won't vibrate and ruin your 4x5 images.
    Good luck.
    Eric

Nicolas Belokurov

Thank you gentlemen for all the valuable comments posted above. Finally I decided to shave weight on other equipment and purchased a Gitzo 3541LS tripod, I hope it's travelling to it's new home right now (cross my fingers).
    I considered getting a Feisol tournament tripod and sent a mail to reallybigcameras asking a couple of questions. It was answered. Then I sent a second mail confirming the purchase and then a third mail just in case the second one got lost (several days later). 3 weeks later I still have no answer, so noticed that BH was doing rebates on Gitzos and went the systematic route.

Nicolas Belokurov

Quote Originally Posted by D-tach View Post
    Nicolas,

I just got back from Patagonia (around Bariloche and Esquel) and used a Gitzo GT3541LS combined with a RRS BH55 ballhead for my Chamonix 4x5 and it is a rock solid combination. The tripod and ballhead together weigh 2,57kg so I don't know if that's too heavy for backpacking as I was travelling by car and doing only short hikes :-)
    I live in Bariloche! It would be great to get together with a fellow LF photographer.
    2.57kg is quite managable

Quote Originally Posted by NicolasArg View Post
    I live in Bariloche! It would be great to get together with a fellow LF photographer.
    2.57kg is quite managable
    :-) Well, you live in a beautifull country Nicolas- and very friendly people.
    Next year I hope to get back but a bit more south (Torres del Paine etc)

And congrats with the new Gitzo, you won't regret it :-)

Tom

Nicolas Belokurov

Quote Originally Posted by D-tach View Post
    :-) Well, you live in a beautifull country Nicolas- and very friendly people.
    Next year I hope to get back but a bit more south (Torres del Paine etc)

And congrats with the new Gitzo, you won't regret it :-)

Tom
    Thanks Tom! Can't wait for it to arrive