Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schneider& Kreuznach 9.5 inch lense??

Schneider& Kreuznach 9.5 inch lense??

Hello, Im new to the site! from reading a few posts, you are the neighbors to help.. I bought an Eastman 2-D 8x10 camera a couple months back, first large format camera.. hadn't done much research before buying one which i wish i had but thats just the way i work.. anyway the camer is in ok condition, it's missing the back rail and well the bellows could be replaced ( should have done the reasearch, right! poop head me ) the lense which help is needed with... is a Jos Schneider & Company Kreuznach, Xenar f:4.5 focus 9 1/2 inches no.48735, think i found somewhere that this lense was made in the 1920's but it is all the information i was able to retrieve, if anyone knows anything about this lense could you help me out ?
    Please and Thank You!

Re: Schneider& Kreuznach 9.5 inch lense??

This one: https://www.schneideroptics.com/info...4,5-240mm.html ?
    Doesn't seem to cover 8x10...
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

The 2-D is a great camera; many people here prefer it to more modern 8x10s with more movements. Not having the back rail is a bit of a bummer, though I use my 2-D without the back rail with lenses up to 480mm with the help of a "top hat" type lens board. You can pick up a Nikkor 480mm process lens for under a hundred bucks if you are patient. Other lenses that cover 8x10 can be found for bargains, too, especially if you use medium speed film (100 iso) or slower and stop the lens down so you can use barrel lenses with longer exposures (1/2 to 1 second or more). I just mounted an old 250mm Kodak projection lens on a home-made lens board yesterday; it cost me $5 and it covers 8x10 with 2-3 inches of movement. Very sharp, too. Packard shutters can be used behind barrel lenses if you don't want to use the lens cap as a shutter.

As for the bellows, they can usually be repaired. Pin holes in the corners can be painted over with fabric paint. One of the best products for bellows repair I found recently is photographer's tape; this tape can be applied inside the bellows. See posts #8 and 9 below:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...er%27s+tape%22

Many 2-Ds also have grooves in the spring back that allow splitters to be inserted so you can shoot two 4x10 or 5x8 photos on a single sheet of 8x10 film, and even four 4x5s, so check for these grooves on your camera.

This forum has a wealth of information; you've come to the right place. Keep learning and have fun. Welcome to the group.

Wow thank you very much for the information! I will look into all that was said I will be honest i am kind of stuck with what you said about covering 8x10, I took photo paper to test for leaks and shot a portrait of a friend the entire paper was covered with an image besides about quarter of an inch around the boarders, Is this good or am I missing something ? Thanks again for all of your help!

manufacturers' specs are often on the conservative side, so it's possible your lens might cover despite the official specs. Also, depending on the lens design, some lenses gain coverage as you stop down. So, as you have discovered, it usually pays to actually check the coverage yourself on the gg whenever possible.

My 1929 240 Xenar and a newer one, both cover my 8x10 with no problem. You are going to stop down to at least f/22 anyway.

Brilliant, thank you everyone for all your help on this question!
    I will be asking lots more so its good to have folks like you around.
    Much thanks again. -D. Bożek

If you look for your lens here:

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...hneider_3.html

you will see it was designed to cover 5x8 format. However, Chauncey is the man with experience; it will cover. My 270mm f/4.5 Xenar from the same period will cover 8x10, and is just a trace soft at the edges of the field. It's one of my favorite 8x10 lenses, and I've probably used it more than any of my other 8x10 lenses.

Rj thanks for that information.

at portrait distances the lens is likely far enough from the film to cover. It may be iffy at infinity