Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wet scanning on a V750 question

Wet scanning on a V750 question

A quick background: I am returning to serious hobby/ amateur photography after about 10 years off. After my son was born, I had a hard time finding the time (and the extra cash) to get out and do the type of landscape photography I like to do. Anyway, things have eased up somewhat and I am trying to get back into the swing of things, so to speak. My intent is to get into and explore LF using a speed graphic. However, even before I get to that point, I am looking to set up a digital darkroom system. I have a large number of MF negatives, 6x4.5 and 6x7 that I’d like to scan in and play with. At this point I have to replace my computer system, printer and scanner (they are all old and need to be upgraded anyway.)

So, here’s my issue, I’ve settled on the Epsom v750 flatbed as the scanner that I intend to purchase. To start with, I’ll do some dry scans to get the feel for the system, but I am curious about wet scanning.

It appears that the Epsom comes with a wet scanning adapter/ tray, but I could not find any instruction on the use of it on their web site. There are also a couple of different companies out there that sell aftermarket scanning kits of various configurations.

Can I get some feedback on these different systems? What are the advantages or drawbacks to them?

Octogenarian

Re: Wet scanning on a V750 question

www.aztek.com

You will find a video on using the Epson V750 wet mounting tray on this website.

As a Mac user I gotta state wmv files that auto down load to my computer are an irritation at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    www.aztek.com

You will find a video on using the Epson V750 wet mounting tray on this website.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

You'll probably get a number of people recommending the BetterScanning variable-height film holder (http://www.betterscanning.com), rather than using the Epson wet-mounting.

It seems the best thing you can do to get the most out of the V750/V700 is get it IN FOCUS, and that comes from adjusting the height of the film above the bed of the scanner until it comes into sharpest focus. I've used one V750 where the plastic film holders worked very well and were in good focus, but on my own I needed a variable-height film-holder to get it right. If you wet-mount your film but it's not well-focused it will be largely a wasted effort, imho.

I use the better-scanning holder and it made a real difference. I found the advantage of wet-mounting to be less noticeable, and while I might continue to do it for more 'important' scans, or if there are notable scratches where fluid mounting would help. Otherwise I use the better-scanning holder without wet-mounting.

Only some hands-on testing will show whether you have your scanner focused well with a given film-holder, but I'd focus on that first and foremost, and fluid-mounting second (sorry for not directly addressing your question, but I wanted to put that out there). There's some helpful additional information at the better scanning website too, regardless of which fluid-mounting approach you take.

When it comes to finding supplies for scanning (mounting fluid, mylar) Aztek.com is a good place to find what you need, as mentioned (along with the video). I found a cheaper source for the mounting fluid at
    http://store.prepressexpress.com/cat...id_category=57

I purchased PEC-12 film-cleaner at a local camera store, along with Pec Pads. And, I found good clean mylar sheets at an art-supply store as well, which is much cheaper than the expensive Aztec mylar (though admittedly not likely as clean and clear).

I hope that helps.

Octogenarian

Greg Blank,

I am also a Mac user and have no idea what you are referring to.

What is a mwv file?

I was attempting to help the OP with his problem. Is there another way that I could have included a link to that website?

I said wmv. Its a windows format for movies. When I clicked the link for information related to the V750 and the Kami fluid in downloaded the file to my computer. They never open unless you get a windows specific player or plug in, to read the file type.

Greg Blank,

I am also a Mac user and have no idea what you are referring to.

What is a mwv file?

I was attempting to help the OP with his problem. Is there another way that I could have included a link to that website?
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Octogenarian

So Greg, was there another way that I could have referred the OP to the Aztek website and the video?

It opened for me, and I don't use Windows programs. It does not download onto my computer (IMac).

I don't understand your problem.

I have no problem with you or with you offering help, if that what you are hinting at.
    & I was mostly making an observation. Can you answer for everyone including me, what type of file opens on your computer? I am as interested in the next person to see that information, seeing how I own a V750.

So Greg, was there another way that I could have referred the OP to the Aztek website and the video?

It opened for me, and I don't use Windows programs. It does not download onto my computer (IMac).

I don't understand your problem.
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Octogenarian

Greg,

I know very little about computers, and I'm not trying to start an argument here.

My IMac computer runs on Apple Snow Leopard, and I also own an Epson V750 scanner.

I repeat, I don't understand the point you are attempting to make.

Snow Leopard includes a WMV playing ability apparently. My Version of OSX does not.

Greg,

I know very little about computers, and I'm not trying to start an argument here.

My IMac computer runs on Apple Snow Leopard, and I also own an Epson V750 scanner.

I repeat, I don't understand the point you are attempting to make.
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com