Thread: LF greenhorn from the suburbs of Philly

LF greenhorn from the suburbs of Philly

Hello everyone! I've been lurking on the forum for about a year trying to learn as much as possible. I started with film, had an affair with digital, now I'm back to my roots with film. I appreciate all who contribute and the wealth of knowledge available here. Long live film!

Ian

Re: LF greenhorn from the suburbs of Philly

Welcome. I went down a similar path. I learned on film, shot digital at my newspaper job and now I'm working independently as a documentary photographer shooting 4x5 film. I couldn't be happier with it and I get a satisfaction from both the process and the final result that I never got with digital. The labs around here aren't great though.

I'm in Philly...

What is your typical workflow? I took the train to ProjectBasho for the Onward exhibition, they have a wide variety of resources for just about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Meneses View Post
    What is your typical workflow? I took the train to ProjectBasho for the Onward exhibition, they have a wide variety of resources for just about anything.
    After doing lots of research, finding locations and shooting, I have my film processed. I shoot all C-41 color neg film. I generally shoot two sheets on each photo, mostly for backup in case of a lab screwup. On really critical work I'll split the film up and take the first set to the lab then once that's back I'll have the backup sheets processed.

I do shoot some fuji instant film for proofing.

Once my film is processed I edit from the negs and scan on my Howtek HR8000 drum scanner. I scan everything at 4000dpi. I then caption everything and add copyright info. I archive those raw scans, then have PS batch resize them down for my agency. I tone those files, ftp them and use the same files for portfolio prints if they make the cut.

The large raw scans are later toned for exhibition prints. I do small prints at home on my 4880 but for prints up to 44-inches wide I rent time at the Philadelphia Photo Arts Center. They have a 9900 that you can rent by the hour and pay a reasonable fee for ink usage. You bring your own paper.

For really huge prints, or for client prints I'm not paying for, I usually have them done at Silicon Gallery in old city.

The Philadelphia Photo Arts Center is a great resource for digital work. They do drum scanning and they also have a hasselblad scanner you can rent time on. They also will do full-service printing up to 60-inches wide.

I had been using Samy's in California to process my film, but they recently did some really crappy work for me so now I'm back using Taylor Photo in Princeton. Taylor is great, just not as close as I'd like but too close to bother with mail order...

Welcome to group therapy! Good to have ya' back in film!

Wow, sounds like you got the bases covered. I think I'm going to have to dabble with digital for my workflow as well I would like to be all analog but time will tell. I'm jealous of your Howtek, that's gotta be convenient. I saw the Philly Photo Arts website, can you rent time on the drum scanner or is that something only they operate? One of these days I'll how to drum scan. I've had good results from Edgar Praus with my B/W and E6.

Hey Vick, thanks, its good to be back. Are you the official greeter of the forum?

Nah, not official...when I started here I noticed several posts on this forum that nobody responded to and went in with a one-line greeting so they wouldn't get their feelings hurt; then it got to be a habit I've had a hard time breaking!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Meneses View Post
    ...I saw the Philly Photo Arts website, can you rent time on the drum scanner or is that something only they operate? ...
    They don't rent time on the drum scanner, only on the Hasselblad scanner and I believe they have some epson flatbed scanners too.

While I'm always quick to point out that drum scanning isn't as scary or hard as some people think, it does require a slight learning curve and the equipment (especially the drum) can be expensive.

I've never had them drum scan my work (since I do my own), but I have seen prints from their scans and they look good.

PPAC is great for printing. Being able to use a 9900 and save money by doing the work myself is great.

Hey Noah, I'll definitely check PPAC out when I'm ready to scan and print. Thanks for the lead. If you're ever out this way hit me up.