Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remote shutter releases for large format lenses

Re: Remote shutter releases for large format lenses

There'd be more of a lag with a servo than a solenoid. This is not modern rocket science. It's more like WWII-era or 1950's tech. Solenoids were so common for flashbulb delay as to not be worth commenting upon, then. Too, there were mid-century LF cameras like the Super Graphic with it's electric release that made wiring up remotes dead simple. Remember though this was professional gear for commercial applications. Better solutions replaced the early crude tech. By the 70's there were electrically-timed and released LF shutters. For critical stop-motion stuff, it's also easier to precisely delay and time the flash pop initiation and duration than a mechanically moving shutter. (Which is the rationale behind expensive Kapture Group kit and other sophisticated triggering).

Quote Originally Posted by eduardtoader View Post
    I prefere 380v generator if it's possible. I could weld with too..

I'm curious about the old german selftimer. Would you share a pic of the shutter and how you attach it to the camera?

Cheers.
    Here is one (actually "Made in Japan"), attaching it is the same as with a regular cable release. Max. delay is about 15s.

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Croell View Post
    Here is one (actually "Made in Japan"), attaching it is the same as with a regular cable release. Max. delay is about 15s.
    I have one of the German versions of the release you have - it's called Autoknips, attaches to the cable release, and if you wind it completely it has a delay of about 8 seconds (though that probably depends on the cable release design and the shutter design). Pretty straightforward in operation, but not very comfortable to use, plus it doesn't have a scale that indicates delay time.

3D-Stereo-Aeropanoramas

Prontor Professional Timer 2-32 sec.
    First version was a non-perfect workaround with a DIY-adapter(from a cable-release prolonger) which had to reduce the hub. could be i showe that here but did on Facebook. Largeformat Photography. but i had only M 3.2 x0.5 thread on one side of adapter for copal 1. any other shutter has the same mount. so had to tape the cable to the adapter. Then i had an idea: shortening the cable-release-tip. made a big mistake right now. shortened too long in the first stage. 12mm. one should start at 10mm and increase by 0.5mm. at around 11mm timer should open shutter.
    www.stereopan.org
    3DStereo-Aeropanorama-Jungfraujoch

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Huppert View Post
    I believe the Kapture Group electronic shutter release sells for about $900, and it might require AC power. For about another $800 you can tote along a nice light and quiet Honda generator to power the shutter release in the field.

For twenty bucks I could pay some bum that's hanging around to hit the release.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

The wind up timers made for many years,by several companies are generally very reliable and cost very little. Some of these push the plunger on a cable releases,and others screw directly into the cable release socket. There is aso at least one R/C device from China which works well. Look around and you should be able to find one.

Matt Alexander

Doing a quick search I found this - https://www.actuonix.com/Wireless-Re...te_control.htm
    A 10 or 20mm actuator looks to run another $70ish. If you have reasonable tinkering skills, it wouldn't take long to put something together with these 2 components...
    Great - now you got me thinking about putting one together
    As if I needed another project!

Why not use the 'V' [delayed action] setting on the shutter??????

regards

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by europanorama View Post
    Prontor Professional Timer 2-32 sec.
    First version was a non-perfect workaround with a DIY-adapter(from a cable-release prolonger) which had to reduce the hub. could be i showe that here but did on Facebook. Largeformat Photography. but i had only M 3.2 x0.5 thread on one side of adapter for copal 1. any other shutter has the same mount. so had to tape the cable to the adapter. Then i had an idea: shortening the cable-release-tip. made a big mistake right now. shortened too long in the first stage. 12mm. one should start at 10mm and increase by 0.5mm. at around 11mm timer should open shutter.
    I second the Prontor professional, It will cock&trip a Sinar shutter.