Thread: Longmont CO and Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park

Longmont CO and Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park

I'm looking for thoughts on the above area to visit in the June 20-23 timeframe. I'll be driving. I may also have an additional 3 days to poke around other areas. So, opinions on places to go in general, and areas that you enjoy photographing? No long hikes or difficult 4wd. (My pickup is 4wd, but I can't risk damaging it so I can't drive it home.)

I don't like crowds. I don't have to see the well known spots, but nice areas that are not overrun is where I'm most comfortable..

I do enjoy trying to get the "grand view" types of images. Does not need to be famous, but striking vistas are really fun.

Thanks for your comments.

Re: Longmont CO and Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park

It sounds like you're staying in Longmont. Most people going from Longmont to RMNP, or "the park" would head up U.S. 36 to Estes Park, take U.S. 34 through the park to Grand Lake, turn around there and head back. It's not a bad way to go, but if you have the time, instead of backtracking, take highway 125 north out of Grand Lake, and come back on highway 14 through Poudre Canyon. If you have even more time, head up U.S. 287 to I-80, and head east on I-80 to find Vedauwoo.

Fortunately, you'll be here midweek, so the park won't be terribly crowded, and Vedauwoo will be nearly deserted. Some people may suggest taking Trail Ridge Road through the park. that road only gets you partway through the park, and then you'll be back on U.S. 34; furthermore, Trail Ridge may or may not be open in mid June. But if you do your return trip through the park, then by all means take Trail Ridge one way.

Enjoy your trip,

db

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brown View Post
    It sounds like you're staying in Longmont. Most people going from Longmont to RMNP, or "the park" would head up U.S. 36 to Estes Park, take U.S. 34 through the park to Grand Lake, turn around there and head back. It's not a bad way to go, but if you have the time, instead of backtracking, take highway 125 north out of Grand Lake, and come back on highway 14 through Poudre Canyon. If you have even more time, head up U.S. 287 to I-80, and head east on I-80 to find Vedauwoo.

Fortunately, you'll be here midweek, so the park won't be terribly crowded, and Vedauwoo will be nearly deserted. Some people may suggest taking Trail Ridge Road through the park. that road only gets you partway through the park, and then you'll be back on U.S. 34; furthermore, Trail Ridge may or may not be open in mid June. But if you do your return trip through the park, then by all means take Trail Ridge one way.

Enjoy your trip,

db
    Ahhhh Vedawoo, Many fond memories during my college years back in the 80's at UW in laramie at Vedawoo. It seems so odd and out of place where it is, but it is very cool! It might be quite a drive for John, but if you are up to it, it's pretty cool. Last time I was there was 4 or 5 years ago and it has been changed into a "real" park with entrance fees and campgrounds. When I was in college, it was pretty much do what you want in the area, camp anywhere and not at all "developed" like it is now.

John, it's pretty hard at RMNP to be in seclusion unless you are up for a hike. It's proximity to a large population of people ensures that it gets quite a bit of visitors. Indian peaks (I think thats the name) is near by and beautiful as well and might find you a little more peace and quiet as well as some "grand scenics" you seek. Or you can drive another 200 miles west and visit me and I'll show you the sights in my neck of the woods
    regards
    Erik

Hi John,
    Ansel Adams certainly seemed to enjoy photographing along Trail Ridge Road when he came through in the 1940s:
    http://www.archives.gov/research/ansel-adams/

(scroll down to the RMNP pics).

Many of these locations are accessible right off the road.

I live 75 min from the park entrance. Let me know when you are coming and if I can, I'll meet up with you. Midweek, early morning = no crowds.

Deer Mountain, just off-road, is a great 8x20, as is the view from the far side of Sprague Lake (200yd level walk from the parking area). The view from beside the Storm Pass parking lot is pretty good. Good views of Morraine Park from the museum parking lot across the road. Views of Longs Peak near Rock Cut and the Never Summer Range from the top of Trail Ridge Road opposite the Alpine Visitors Center can be good, but it's often very windy up there. Nice aspen groves just as you come down into Horseshoe Park, too.
    Best,
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brown View Post
    ...Some people may suggest taking Trail Ridge Road through the park. that road only gets you partway through the park, and then you'll be back on U.S. 34...
    Trail Ridge Road is Highway 34. Did you perhaps intend to type Old Fall River Road?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    ...is a great 8x20, as is the view from the far side of Sprague Lake (200yd level walk from the parking area)...
    It's even better than "a level walk;" the Sprague Lake trail is wheelchair accessible. So, if your 8x20 outfit has been placed in a baby jogger or the like, just roll it to your preferred viewpoint. I've always enjoyed the spot where water enters the lake in my foreground. Just be prepared for some visitor items (sign, etc.) to be visible on the far shore if one peers closely at your large contact prints.

RMNP-My first ever mountain park on my own.
    I haven't been there in years, but I recall one very nice, short, hike.
    Bierstadt Lake. Go early before the haze spoils the view of Longs Peak. A longish lens helps isolate Longs Peak.

http://www.thespiritoftherockies.net...stadtLake.html

Enjoy!
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

An additional bit of knowledge is that the park effectively has no 4WD roads, certainly no serious ones. Same can be said of the Indian Peaks wilderness to the south. Its pretty much paved or graded right up to the parking lot/trailhead in the area.

The park has many scenic overlooks, and midweek should be less traffic.

Another option, in the general vicinity, is around Golden, which is a nice little town unto itself, and the mountain on the west side of town (lookout mountain, I believe) is nice. At the top is a small preserve and Buffalo Bill's grave (separate places).

A bit south is Red Rocks park (I want to say that is in Gunnison, but can't be bothered to look it up). If you like pictures of rocks (and who doesn't?) this is one of those places. I think the loop around the center of the park is less than 2 miles, but none of it is more than 25 yards from road.

Ward, CO. It may be ruined now. It was neat old funky little off the wall place back in the Dark Ages.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei