Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Grubb Lens Expertise

Re: Need Grubb Lens Expertise

Quote Originally Posted by pgk View Post
    ........but its looking as though Thomas Grubb was the first maker to produce the Doublets which would become better known as Rapid Rectilinear lenses, in 1864 ..... tbc
    This has already been noted on the literature - mostly in the 19th Century - in Trail Taylor’s collected articles. Grubb is reported as being annoyed, but didn’t get involved in the Steinheil/Dallmeyer debate, as far as I know.

Grubb 'C' Patent Lenses has a 3" diameter glass. 'A' was 2" and they went up to 'G' (6"). There were smaller lenses for stereo use, Doublets (see below) and Petzvals. Later Grubb's were by Howard, Thomas's son and varied with many being Doublets. Still working on a history of Grubb lenses but its looking as though Thomas Grubb was the first maker to produce the Doublets which would become better known as Rapid Rectilinear lenses, in 1864 ..... tbc
    Thanks!

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    Great collection, ....how big are these Grubb landscape lenses (diameter lens for instance)? - (I have some, not from Grubb, but most of mine are quite tiny - will soon put a picture on flickr)
    This collection as presented is slightly less than two feet across, maybe 21 or 22 inches.

William

Grubb 'C' Patent Lenses has a 3" diameter glass. 'A' was 2" and they went up to 'G' (6"). There were smaller lenses for stereo use, Doublets (see below) and Petzvals. Later Grubb's were by Howard, Thomas's son and varied with many being Doublets. Still working on a history of Grubb lenses but its looking as though Thomas Grubb was the first maker to produce the Doublets which would become better known as Rapid Rectilinear lenses, in 1864 ..... tbc
    Thanks Paul

My collection is as follows, Front Row from left to right 482 C Aplanatic, 582 C Aplanatic, 3631 Ax Aplanatic. Back Row from left to right 509 Aplanatic (slightly smaller than C) with helicoid, 2591 D Aplanatic, 4039 C Aplanatic and 5045 Aplanatic Doublet. Some of the washer stops I have received with the lenses are shown at the front. I also have an original Waterhouse stop for the Doublet.

I have taken excellent photographs using the small Ax with a bellows to focus in front of a digital camera. I have some old wooden cameras which I may eventually use to shoot 4 x5 sheet film using these lenses when I can get the cameras adapted. Covid is not helping that project.

William

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    This has already been noted on the literature - mostly in the 19th Century - in Trail Taylor’s collected articles. Grubb is reported as being annoyed, but didn’t get involved in the Steinheil/Dallmeyer debate, as far as I know.
    By this time Thomas Grubb was heavily involved in building the "Great Melbourne Telescope" and would have been very busy with what was a huge and highly prestigious (and probably lucrative ) project when Dallmeyer's patent was granted. His agent Solomon did detail the fact that the RR had already been made and said so in the press but it appears that Grubb simply never pursued the matter and Dallmeyer was credited (wrongly) by many with the invention of the Rapid Rectilinear from then on. Kingslake's book perpetuated the myth because Kigslake must not have had access to original copies of the photographic press, many of which are available online today. I have tracked down the existence of 5 copies of Grubb's original Doublet, one of which I own. I also have details of the day on which it was made (25-06-1865). However the first Doublet was made by Thomas Grubb on 09-09-1864 so it was in production well before Dallmeyer's patent.

By this time Thomas Grubb was heavily involved in building the "Great Melbourne Telescope" and would have been very busy with what was a huge and highly prestigious (and probably lucrative ) project when Dallmeyer's patent was granted. His agent Solomon did detail the fact that the RR had already been made and said so in the press but it appears that Grubb simply never pursued the matter and Dallmeyer was credited (wrongly) by many with the invention of the Rapid Rectilinear from then on. Kingslake's book perpetuated the myth because Kigslake must not have had access to original copies of the photographic press, many of which are available online today. I have tracked down the existence of 5 copies of Grubb's original Doublet, one of which I own. I also have details of the day on which it was made (25-06-1865). However the first Doublet was made by Thomas Grubb on 09-09-1864 so it was in production well before Dallmeyer's patent.
    Great info Paul, any photo's of your collection?

My Flickr

For some reason I cannot upload images at the moment! Will try later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grubb 2215 Patent Doublet rice writing 02.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	209882

This is an example of an engraving on Grubb Patent 2215 Patent Doublet from pgk's collection. He was unable to upload it himself. It is also shown here in a piece about my collection and engravings on the British Photographic History website.

https://britishphotohistory.ning.com...ommon-practice

The same question is asked here about whether there is evidence of such 'lens signing' by other manufacturers. There is a reference here to the signing of Darlot lenses with 'Darlot Paris 10'.

http://www.earlyphotography.co.uk/site/entry_L83.html

Comments are welcome.

William

This one was sold today and seems to have reached a new high level of pricing (for a Grubb in what seems not so well - altered - condition although it can be considered an early one):

<edit> taken away the dead link to the auction site: its serial is 1194 which was present in the now dead link.

<edit> Later in july/aug 2021 is was again on offer on PHOTRIO by the one who had bought it on Ebay
    Last edited by Ron (Netherlands); 19-Nov-2022 at 05:10.

My Flickr

New to site....looks like I bought fabfoto73's B2 No1560 lovely lens fast and shallow probably could take it down a stop if anyone has a waterhouse stop?????