Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Need Grubb Lens Expertise

Re: Need Grubb Lens Expertise

4009 is a real oddity in that the serial number places it firmly amongst the earlier type lenses originated by Thomas Grubb, but it is clearly marked as being from Howard and is obviously of much later design and it even features an aperture diaphragm. Of the currently tracked and known lenses there are very few lenses of serial number 4000+ and all those from Howard bear serial numbers from 5000-5350 (the highest known serial number). So what does this lens represent? A use of unused serial numbers? But then why start using 5000 serial numbers? Anything is possible. Perhaps the list of used serial numbers was lost and they restarted with a new batch at 5000?

Quote Originally Posted by pgk View Post
    Looks like Llyn Gwynant to me. The building is still there but had boarded windows last time I saw it. At the vally bottom to the right of the photo is the campsite.
    You're right, and my mistake was thinking that Dinas was the higher lake, I just checked the map !
    Is the previous picture looking up from Llyn Dinas towards Gwynant, then ? - or is it in Ogwen ?

My view is that this was a factory test lens donated by Howard to the PSI sometime after he had been President in 1888/89. It used an earlier lens element with later features similar to those of 5350 which I own. That is why I posted a picture of it above. I had thought this lens was lost until we 'found' it again last Wednesday.

William
    Last edited by Willeica; 18-Feb-2024 at 02:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
    Is the previous picture looking up from Llyn Dinas towards Gwynant, then ? - or is it in Ogwen ?
    I think its Nant Peris (much smaller than today!) looking up the Pass of Llanberis.

Today I received an A3 Petzval by Grubb and dating from the early 1860s. The glass was absolutely filthy and there was even an old sticker on the rear element. Careful application of Zeiss lens cleaner using several microfibre cloths soon dealt with this and revealed almost immaculate glass with virtually no marks whatsoever on it. Included was a double ring flange (adapters rings by the look of it) which was a close but incorrect fit, and 7 Waterhouse stops which work so well that they are almost certainly either original or made for the lens. It is now sitting on a camera waiting to be used.
    Last edited by pgk; 27-Mar-2024 at 13:16.

Very good indeed !

Paul, the stops are very interesting and it is the first time I have seen anything like them. You should post a picture here when you get a chance. I only have one Grubb Waterhouse stop, on an Aplanatic Doublet with Grubb and Watson markings, and it is quite different to the ones which came with your A3 Petzval.

William

Here are the details of the Waterhouse stops should anyone want to make a set for their A3 Petzval:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grubb A3 Petzval Waterhouse Stops.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	248379
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grubb A3 Petzval © Paul Kay 2024.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	248380
    Both photos were taken using another 1860s Grubb lens intended for stereo photgraphy.