Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Grubb Lens Expertise

Re: Need Grubb Lens Expertise

With such lenses its probably going to be a matter of making your own. I do so from either thin black plastic or card and its a relatively easy thing to do. Alternatively pm me you email address and I will pass it on to a friend in Dublin who might be able to give you a contact who can make such stops.

I don't know if this will help, but I stumbled across this site last night:

http://www.re-inventedphotoequip.com/Home.html

He sells a simple meniscus lens in a PVC tube, and provides a bunch of waterhouse stops for them. He doesn't list the stops for sale separately, but if you contact him, he may have something that works for you, provided he can ship internationally.

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    I don't know if this will help, but I stumbled across this site last night:

http://www.re-inventedphotoequip.com/Home.html

He sells a simple meniscus lens in a PVC tube, and provides a bunch of waterhouse stops for them. He doesn't list the stops for sale separately, but if you contact him, he may have something that works for you, provided he can ship internationally.
    Reinhold is a fellow member

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    Reinhold is a fellow member
    Cool, I didn't know that. I've been working on 3D modeling a piece to front mount my packard shutter using Cokin P adapter rings (and modeling a few Cokin P adapter rings for unthreaded lenses) when I stumbled across his site where he adapts packard shutters to Cokin P. So it looks like he had the same idea, which is cool. I'll probably keep working on my model just because, but its good to know that it isn't a crazy idea.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

The single-element macro auxiliary lenses for 35mm cameras are meniscus/Wollaston lenses. If you get them in 58mm, they screw right into the back of a Compur #3 or Copal #3 shutter. If you've already got another lens with that size shutter, you have a working modern shutter and adjustable aperture already mounted on a board that fits your camera. And you can buy a set of 3 or 4 different focal lengths for well under $20.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by eunified61 View Post
    New to site....looks like I bought fabfoto73's B2 No1560 lovely lens fast and shallow probably could take it down a stop if anyone has a waterhouse stop?????
    Is 1560 a Petzval and does it have a Waterhouse stop slot? The only Grubb lens that I have with a Waterhouse stop slot and an actual original stop is an Aplanatic Doublet from the 1880s. 1560 is much earlier, but it could have a slot. I have original washer stops for a number of my Grubb Aplanatics, but they are all bespoke sizes made to fit the 'pill box' on top. One of my sets has f stop numbers marked in pencil, but those markings were obviously done much later. It also has the native aperture of the lens written inside.

I believe that 3 D modelling using digital methods might be the best way for you to go.

William

The B2 is a Petzval. I've made a plastic Waterhouse stop for mine and will dig it out and photograph it when I have time plus I'll add the specifications too.

Quote Originally Posted by pgk View Post
    The B2 is a Petzval. I've made a plastic Waterhouse stop for mine and will dig it out and photograph it when I have time plus I'll add the specifications too.
    That is, of course, correct, Paul. The point I was trying to make is that Grubb lenses were not in my experience, I have 7 of them, made in standardised sizes. So, any fittings such as stops or baseplates have to be bespoke. Lenses made in the 1850s and 60s were long before the standardised sizes and fittings which we became used to during the 20th Century.

William

Quote Originally Posted by Willeica View Post
    That is, of course, correct, Paul. The point I was trying to make is that Grubb lenses were not in my experience, I have 7 of them, made in standardised sizes. So, any fittings such as stops or baseplates have to be bespoke. Lenses made in the 1850s and 60s were long before the standardised sizes and fittings which we became used to during the 20th Century.

William
    I made some at the expense of a couple of 5x7 aluminium plates they are working nicely

My latest Grubb lens is an Aplanatic 12x10 No 5350, made by Howard Grubb in aluminium, and dating, I believe, from the 1890s. It has a diaphragm aperture control with the RPS scale f11.3 which was introduced between 1895 and 1902. The other f stops are f16,22,32, 45 and 64. The lens element is orange coated which may indicate astronomical, scientific, industrial or military use. Someone has suggested that it might have been for meteorological purposes as the orange filter would enhance the contrast in cloud formations. Suggestions about possible uses would be most welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2049.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	222153

Name:	IMG_2051.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	222154

Name:	IMG_2052.jpg