Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Screen Cezanne (Elite) questions

Re: Screen Cezanne (Elite) questions

Thanks Peter. That's less than what I'm quoted. I was told the lamps are only sold in pairs and cost over $500.

Jim

Being a Cezanne owner, as are all of you posting on this thread, I too wanted to see what I could do about obtaining spare lamps at a more reasonable price. I have searched for several months for a solution. As I found out, the Cezanne lamps are unique and made for Screen. They describe their lamps has having a spectrum in the blue green range. The Cezanne lamps are high output fluorescent 500mm in length, driven by a 24v 23 watt ballast for each lamp. They have a window where light emitting from the lamps is somewhat directional. I have worked with many types of scanners both transmissive and reflective and have seen these type of light sources; Incandescent, HO fluorescent, Cold Cathode fluorescent and LED. I have been toying with the idea of changing from Screen lamps and installing a new ballast and lamps that would work and be reasonable in price. I researched some lamps and decided to select an Osram Dulux L 55 watt HO lamp available in several color temps. I chose a 5400k lamp and matching ballast for my test. It was close in color temp but just a shade warmer than the Cezanne lamps. I scanned a transparency with the Screen lamps. I temporarily mounted the Osram lamp in the housing and scanned the same transparency. I could not see any difference. It was straight forward to remove the transmissive lamp assembly as it is a tray that is easily removed. I used it as a template and made a tray that would hold the Osram lamp and replace the original Screen lamp tray. There was no need to make any permanent changes to the Cezanne and in ten minutes or less I could revert to the Screen lamp tray. I still need to scan more types of transmissive media and see what results I get. So far the results look very promising. I am ordering 6500k lamps and will make a scan with it as well to see what effect a colder lamp will have. Here are some images of the completed mod.

Jim Renckly

Thank you for posting this Jim! I should be set with Screen bulbs for the immediate future, but It's great to know that there's a possibility for switching to something else down the road.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Jim, thanks a lot for that!

I assume the lamps you got are Osram Dulux L 2G11 55W 5400K, if so, could you provide the part number for the ballast please?

As for the metal tray, what paint did you use? I know the lamps get fairly hot and I wouldn't want the paint to change color or flake off as this might affect how much light reaches the sensor.

Thanks!

MD

Jim

I used a hi temp flat black paint. The ballast is a solid state Phillips Advance Centium Model ICN2S54. It can power one or two 55W Dulux lamps. I may yet make a reflector, but there was sufficient light without any low light errors.

Jim

Jim,

Thank you for these posts! Its nice to know that one can avoid the exhorbitant fees Screen is charging for replacement lamps. When mine do die out, I'll try your solution.
    Peter Y.