• None of the above—each is a real concern

12 9.38%
  • Other

49 38.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Worst Photographic Buzzword

Re: Worst Photographic Buzzword

Actually, the concept of sharpness (at least to me) is fascinating. What most of us consider subjectively as sharpness in an image is not one thing. It is akin to the legal concept of ownership in that it results from a series of considerations such as (and these are in no certain order); resolution (number of lines per inch the lens is capable of "resolving"), contrast and accutance. The previous posts are all correct in that even the lens that is technically the "sharpest" will only give pleasing results if used properly and further consideration must be paid to image capture (film or digital) printing techniques and equipment, proper scanning of film and last but not least proper sharpening techniques in digital processing. Bottom line? We all feel we know sharpness when we see it. That does not mean we understand what it is or how it is achieved. Don

Quote Originally Posted by dongadda View Post
    Actually, the concept of sharpness (at least to me) is fascinating. What most of us consider subjectively as sharpness in an image is not one thing. It is akin to the legal concept of ownership in that it results from a series of considerations such as (and these are in no certain order); resolution (number of lines per inch the lens is capable of "resolving"), contrast and accutance. The previous posts are all correct in that even the lens that is technically the "sharpest" will only give pleasing results if used properly and further consideration must be paid to image capture (film or digital) printing techniques and equipment, proper scanning of film and last but not least proper sharpening techniques in digital processing. Bottom line? We all feel we know sharpness when we see it. That does not mean we understand what it is or how it is achieved. Don
    I don't mind if people use the term "sharp" without understanding what it means. I do mind if they draw conclusions on sharpness without applying an appropriate standard.

For example, whose assertion would be more persuasive?

"I have this Framistat Razorigon that is so sharp it will slice tomatoes. Here's a web picture of a selectively focused flower, taking at f/1.4, to illustrate just how sharp it is. It's absolutely amazing on my computer monitor."

Or,

"I made a 30x40" print of a photo made using the very sharp Framistat Razorigon. Close inspection of the print reveals bicycle spokes on a bicycle that is two blocks from the camera. Smaller prints do not show the spokes because they are too small."

(The second is a description we've seen on this forum, of course.) Obviously, the second is more persuasive, but without really knowing any more about the science of the term. The first use of the term is a buzzword, because the user wants everyone to know that he spend the megabucks required to purchase a Framistat Razorigon, which comes in a day-glo orange barrel with a green stripe around the front edge. He is unaware that the focused parts of an image using sharp selective focus will always seem sharp because there is so little in the image that is sharp. He says nothing about what can be resolved, or how big a print it takes to find the limit of the lens's resolving power. He demonstrates the value of his big purchase with a screen-sized display that could make a Coke-bottle-bottom look good if used with reasonable technique.

The second guy is not using "sharp" as a buzzword. He is describing a careful evaluation of resolving power to back up his statement. Achieving that result will have demanded careful technique in addition to a lens with a high resolving power. For those who know the science of MTF, some evaluation can be extracted from that description, too.

A buzzword is a word used by people who want to be seen as knowing or having more than others. They use the word carelessly in an act of truthiness, hoping to look hip. The word attracts "buzz" because the hip people start using and talking about it. (Sometimes they do so out of simple ignorance, but that is not a particularly satisfying excuse.)

A buzzword is not the same as a euphemism. In the latter case, the speaker knows the truth but is obscuring its extent. In the former case, the speaker does not know the truth but wants to be seen as knowing the truth.

Rick "whose experience with government has provided countless examples" Denney

Worst word: Tog (as in, photographer )

Giclée - means "to spray" in French you know?

multiplex

i usually say nozzle-print

This thread is absolutely awesome! OK - not photo buzzwords but: awesome and especially absolutely, absolutely need to be totally retired.

I agree with "shoot, shooting, and shot".

tog
    soup
    capture
    lense
    pod

HA! "buzzword" in any context..hee hee