Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Linhof MT vs. Technikardan 45s for urban landscapes and architecture

Re: Linhof MT vs. Technikardan 45s for urban landscapes and architecture

Quote Originally Posted by GG12 View Post
    Just to clarify, the RF is attached to the side, built in the casting. Not removable, but you are able to use the camera without referencing it.
    It’s attached to the body but it is not part of the casting. It could be removed, and several users have done so.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Carter View Post
    For 4x5 urban landscapes and architecture, is there really any advantage in using a Technikardan 45s over a MT Classic or MT 3000?

The MT is a very portable and rigid camera, probably more so than the Technikardan 45s, but the Technikardan has more movements.

If you were starting from scratch it looks to be almost a tie, but if you already had a Linhof MT and oodles of Linhof accessories, would you ever consider adding a Technikardan 45s to your MT based kit?

Maybe I am just suffering from GAS, a seemingly incurable photographer's affliction.
    Especially in urban areas, the following should apply: if at the end the mob wants to steal your camera, you can strike more effectively and sustainably with a closed Technika than with a Technikardan, which will probably disintegrate within 30 seconds and also does not have edges closed on all sides, which locks you into a predetermined direction of strike to get the right edges into the right places in the faces of your antagonists. The extended movements of the Technikardan do not help you there either - the Technika also has an ergonomically shaped handle, which facilitates the use in battle enormously.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Bob will give a more complete response, but the built-in rangefinder on the classic is similar to your Leica (I.e. two windows and a split image) and the camera has a cam to bring the images together as you focus the lens, again similar to your Leica. The cams are matched to each lens.
    There is a major difference : the Linhof doesn’t have frame lines.
    While you can use the viewfinder on a M6 for both focusing and framing, on a MT it would take an extra viewfinder with adequate frame lines to your lens.
    Think of it like using a 21mm with a M6 : the camera viewfinder will let you focus the lens but you need an accessory viewfinder to frame.
    Here is a MT with both its rangefinder on the side, and a viewfinder matched to the lens on top :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linhof_000054_4x5_Master_Technika_Classic_31444.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	210472

Also, I would be careful in comparing other rangefinders to a Leica.
    Leica makes great viewfinders that are extra bright, clear, very well colour balanced and very sharp.
    Essentially every other rangefinder I’ve tried has been at best “not quite as good as my Leica” and at worst “rubbish in comparison”.

I feel like these precisions should be made, lest one buys a MT expecting it to be the same as a M6...
    "I am a reflection photographing other reflections within a reflection. To photograph reality is to photograph nothing." Duane Michals

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    It’s attached to the body but it is not part of the casting. It could be removed, and several users have done so.
    Whoops. Sorry about that. Thanks for the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by lenicolas View Post
    There is a major difference : the Linhof doesn’t have frame lines.
    While you can use the viewfinder on a M6 for both focusing and framing, on a MT it would take an extra viewfinder with adequate frame lines to your lens.
    Think of it like using a 21mm with a M6 : the camera viewfinder will let you focus the lens but you need an accessory viewfinder to frame.
    Here is a MT with both its rangefinder on the side, and a viewfinder matched to the lens on top :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linhof_000054_4x5_Master_Technika_Classic_31444.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	210472

Also, I would be careful in comparing other rangefinders to a Leica.
    Leica makes great viewfinders that are extra bright, clear, very well colour balanced and very sharp.
    Essentially every other rangefinder I’ve tried has been at best “not quite as good as my Leica” and at worst “rubbish in comparison”.

I feel like these precisions should be made, lest one buys a MT expecting it to be the same as a M6...
    The Leica RF does not have view lines, it’s viewfinder has some.
    That Linhof finder that you pictured has framing for lenses from 72 to 360mm with automatic parallax correction and frame correction for distance. Something no Leica finder has and neither do their auxiliary finders when the camera doesn’t have the proper frame lines built in.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Casper Lohenstein View Post
    Especially in urban areas, the following should apply: if at the end the mob wants to steal your camera, you can strike more effectively and sustainably with a closed Technika than with a Technikardan, which will probably disintegrate within 30 seconds and also does not have edges closed on all sides, which locks you into a predetermined direction of strike to get the right edges into the right places in the faces of your antagonists. The extended movements of the Technikardan do not help you there either - the Technika also has an ergonomically shaped handle, which facilitates the use in battle enormously.
    But if you have the Tele/Macro Bracket 002741 for the Technikardan you could wield it like a short broad sword...

David

Drew Wiley

Just take a file and sharpen the fold-out TK base rail into a bayonet, basically an oversized switchblade. Then grease your hair back into a ducktail and wear a black leather jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    The Leica RF does not have view lines, it’s viewfinder has some.
    That Linhof finder that you pictured has framing for lenses from 72 to 360mm with automatic parallax correction and frame correction for distance. Something no Leica finder has and neither do their auxiliary finders when the camera doesn’t have the proper frame lines built in.
    A combined VF/RF is vastly easier to use. Regardless of the bells and whistles of the Linhof finder, it's a PITA to use and since it's not "automatic" along with focusing on the rails, you have to remember to actually dial in the proper distance. In practice, I've found the framelines to also not be very accurate usually. Depends on lens/focus distance. Still, the Linhof is one of only a few options in handheld RF-focused 4x5 photography so that's certainly nice to have, if needed.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

For a number of reasons, large format RF just does not make sense to me. Medium format RF can make sense, but not large format.

Small town, South Carolina, US

I have used my Busch Pressman 4x5 several times for groups at family get togethers. The rangefinder speeds up the process considerably. Trying to get 10 to 50 people including children to pose for more than a minute or so is impossible with my family.