Thread: Calumet CC400: A few questions.

Calumet CC400: A few questions.

Hello, I am brand new to LF photography, so new infact, that my camera is still on its way to me.

I have wanted a 4x5 for quite some time. Last week I finally won a Calumet CC400 on ebay. It comes with everything but a lens unfortunately.
    I am wondering if anyone has any tips or knows of any quirks that this particular model has. It also comes with a shade a one film holder and one 545 polaroid back.

I am also wondering what type of pack film back will fit this camera, I intend on using peel apart till I am familiar with the format and due to the fact I already have many packs of 100 type film, plus it is cheaper than 4x5.

My final question will be the most difficult, I am wanting to shoot mostly portraits/ model based photos, my problem is that I am on a budget as far as equipment goes, what is a good lens for this style of photography when you are on a budget?The lensboard is Copal No. 0. Is there a lens that will work well for landscape and model photography?

If I left anything out that you think may help me please let me know.
    Thank, Dan

Re: Calumet CC400: A few questions.

Many will feel that portrait lengths on 4x5 start around 210mm, although others do environmental (full body) portraits with lenses as short as 135mm. Both are useful for landscapes, although many will find the shorter lens more productive. Most 210's fit in a Copal #1 not a #0. A Kodak 203mm/7.7 Ektar is famously sharp, plentiful and inexpensive and does fit in a #0 size hole. I find a 90mm, a 135mm and a 203 or 210mm to be a very good, but compact, set of lenses for 4x5.

Good luck - Alan

A 203 Ektar is a fine choice, as would be a 215 Ilex or any of the major brand 210s. Anything 210-ish with a good working shutter should get you started. Keh seems to always have an impressive selection of lower priced 210s in stock and by all accounts are a reputable outfit.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

SF Bay Area 94303

Get a copy of Using the View Camera by Steve Simmons and read it before buying another thing. The Polaroid back will not work with your Polaroid pack film, you need a 505 (I think) pack holder. Given the choice between a 135mm and a 210 I would go for the 210mm. I too started with a CC400, great starter and maybe finisher. Get some film holders and use them. Develop film in pans using HC110 dilution B as a one shot. (8 min with almost any film will get you in the ball park at 68 degrees.) You also need a solid tripod, dark cloth and loupe. KFry

Hi Dan,

If using 4x5 film I would suggest focal lengths from 200 to 250 mm (roughly 8" to 10").

Lynn

When you say "everything but a lens" I hope that means that some sort of tripod was included. The CC400 is not all that heavy so you don't need a monster tripod, but it is next to useless with no tripod at all. My first LF was a CC400, and for years I did (and still do) use a Tiltall for it. KEH is definitely a good place to look for any essential that you don't already have.

You are perhaps better off that a lens wasn't included. I have seen many of these sold with a lens lacking the excess coverage needed to use the movements which the CC400 has.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Fry View Post
    Get a copy of Using the View Camera by Steve Simmons and read it before buying another thing. The Polaroid back will not work with your Polaroid pack film, you need a 505 (I think) pack holder...
    I don't think a Polaroid 505 will fit in the older (grey) CC-400s, the bale doesn't open wide enough. I think the newer black CC-400s have a bale that opens wider and will take one - it will take a Fuji PA-145.

...Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    I don't think a Polaroid 505 will fit in the older (grey) CC-400s, the bale doesn't open wide enough. I think the newer black CC-400s have a bale that opens wider and will take one - it will take a Fuji PA-145.

...Mike
    I think you guys mean a Polaroid 550 holder (or Fuji PA-45) for the 4x5 pack film.

Also, Mike is correct that some Calumet CC-400s can't take these backs because they are too thick, but I managed to get some replacement springs from Calumet a few years ago that allowed me to use these backs with mine, so you can contact Calumet and see if they still have them...

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Jones View Post
    Hi Dan,

If using 4x5 film I would suggest focal lengths from 200 to 250 mm (roughly 8" to 10").

Lynn
    Thanks Lynn, would I need something shorter for 100 type film?