Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Purchasing an Ink Printer

Help Purchasing an Ink Printer

For my next printer purchase, I want to be able to print up to 13x19 color as well as grayscale. My budget is $1000 or less. HP 7000 is one printer below $200. Epson has a few printers below $1000. I can live with the inconvenience of replacing gray ink cartridges into color cartridge slots. Seems to me that the print driver is just an important factor as the printer itself for grayscale work. Printing gray tones will be a first experience for me. I know that a higher priced printer does not necessarily produce the best print. Any advice or recommendation is welcome. I will also appreciate if one can point me to a website that covers the subject. Thanks. Garen

Re: Help Purchasing an Ink Printer

I own both Epson and Canon. I really appreciate the prints that the Canon Pro 9500 Mk II produces.

I've owned four Epson printers over a period of about 10-12 years, an 1160, 1280, 2200, and presently the 3800 that I've had for about four years. I also still have the 1280 which is about 8 or so years old and is still in use. All have performed almost flawlessly.

Epson probably has 90% or more of the higher-end photo printer market. So when you have a question or problem or just want some information you'll find plenty for any Epson photo printer you buy, less so for other brands. I'd therefore suggest buying the best 13" Epson printer you can afford which probably is the R2880 for about $700. Throw in QTR (www.harrington.com) for another $50 if it's black and white printing in which you're interested plus some time learning how to print digitally you'll soon be making some gorgeous prints.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Octogenarian

Assuming that you are in the USA, check out the HP Photosmart PRO B8850 printer.

It has all the features that you mentioned and sells for under $500, with free shipping.

www.atlex.com

Look at the Epson 3880, with rebates. While a 17-inch printer, it is not much bigger than an Epson 2880/3000. The build quality and components are higher quality than the "prosumer". I've owned 4-5 "smaller" Epsons, Canons and HP, and the 3880 yields better prints with the canned profiles. It has excellent Advanced Black and White mode, which does an excellent job for B&W. There were 2 slightly used ones in Seattle a week or so ago, at a dealer, for $500. Send me a PM if you want details.

I owned 2 Epson printers in the past about 12-15 years ago, they both did a great job, then i didn't buy any another ink printer except HP office-jet which was bad for photos but i used for my college[university] work as scan and print and so, but then about 3 years or 2 i can't remember i purchased Epson 3800, this printer changed my printing world, perfect prints for colors and B&W, very happy with it, now the only printer i want to buy is Epson 24" or 44".

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Assuming that you are in the USA, check out the HP Photosmart PRO B8850 printer.

It has all the features that you mentioned and sells for under $500, with free shipping.
    The B8850 was discounted almost a year ago now.

Can you hold out for the new EPSON Stylus Photo R3000? How much does a Epson 3880 go for in the US these days? I highly recommend it.

Octogenarian

James,

The HP B9180 was discontinued last year.

The HP B8850 is still available in the USA.

See: www.atlex.com

Atlex is a good place to purchase ink cartridges for HP, as well as Epson printers.

BTW, the OP is looking for a 13" printer, not a 17" printer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    James,

The HP B9180 was discontinued last year.

The HP B8850 is still available in the USA.
    See http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...t-xx-xx-/chev/ and http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...6-3380537.html

HP's own USA website lists the printer as discontinued, I guess items being sold today are just old stock.

Having done inkjet printing for 10 years or so, do yourself a favor and buy a printer with larger cartridges. The Epson 3880 is in this category and can be found, refurbs, used for under $1000. B&W is good if not excellent, the only two negative are that it doesn't take roll paper and the longest print it will make is 38 inches. I bought a Canon iPF5000 instead of a 3800, this is also an excellent printer.
    The real cost of an inkjet printer is in it's operation not the initial cost. Larger cartridge prints cost significantly less to run and you don't have to change ink all the time, just a better buy.
    I used an HP B9180 for 3 years, also a nice printer with larger cartridges than other 13 inch printers. But the ink cost the same as an Epson and the HP software was very intrusive, I finally stripped all but the essentials off my computer.

Tom