Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Suggestions for Deardorff 8x10 repair

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    55

    Suggestions for Deardorff 8x10 repair

    I recently picked up a Deardorff 8x10 field camera on Ebay. The serial number is in to 5500's. It came out of Chicago and looks fine, but for some minor wear to the wood and some split wood where larger, non-original screws were used. The bed looks just fine. The bellows was described as light tight, but I did a light test and counted 60+ holes--nearly every bellows fold had a pinhole or a thinning that allowed light to pass. So it needs a new bellows--though I may try the elmer glue/dishsoap formula along with some buffered black photo tape just to see what happens.

    Nothing about the camera suggests it can't, with some minor attention, be made into a great field 8x10. However, the focus rail slot that the rear standard slides in is noticeably wider from wear along its rear portion than the more forward parts of the whole gear track and so the rear standard can rock back and forth a little more than it perhaps should.

    I've considered folding a little metal tape (or plastic tyk tape) over the flange that rides in the gear track slot--to take up some or all of the space. But I wonder if the outer geared rails on the Deardorff can just be switched to the opposite sides of the camera to provide the "pristine" gear and slot for the usual focus travel of the rear standard. Anyone done this?

    There is some talk of new parts available for Deardorff cameras, if I read a current website correctly. Any chance new track parts might become available?

    Doug

  2. #2

    Re: Suggestions for Deardorff 8x10 repair

    Yes you can do the switch of gear rails.

    New one surface from time to time but they are few. The company that made the blanks stop listing the blanks 10 years ago.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

  3. #3

    Re: Suggestions for Deardorff 8x10 repair

    Bellows be bought from

    http://www.custombellows.co.uk/

    Bits of Deardorff can be sourced from

    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/LF-Deardorf...id=p4340.l2563

    Info on restoration is here

    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/deardorff-8x10/

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley
    Posts
    159

    Re: Suggestions for Deardorff 8x10 repair

    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Henderson View Post
    I recently picked up a Deardorff 8x10 field camera on Ebay. The serial number is in to 5500's. It came out of Chicago and looks fine, but for some minor wear to the wood and some split wood where larger, non-original screws were used. The bed looks just fine. The bellows was described as light tight, but I did a light test and counted 60+ holes--nearly every bellows fold had a pinhole or a thinning that allowed light to pass. So it needs a new bellows--though I may try the elmer glue/dishsoap formula along with some buffered black photo tape just to see what happens.

    Nothing about the camera suggests it can't, with some minor attention, be made into a great field 8x10. However, the focus rail slot that the rear standard slides in is noticeably wider from wear along its rear portion than the more forward parts of the whole gear track and so the rear standard can rock back and forth a little more than it perhaps should.

    I've considered folding a little metal tape (or plastic tyk tape) over the flange that rides in the gear track slot--to take up some or all of the space. But I wonder if the outer geared rails on the Deardorff can just be switched to the opposite sides of the camera to provide the "pristine" gear and slot for the usual focus travel of the rear standard. Anyone done this?

    There is some talk of new parts available for Deardorff cameras, if I read a current website correctly. Any chance new track parts might become available?

    Doug
    For a new bellows, contact Jim Ormond at Western Bellows (in California). He did a nice job on the new bellows for my Deardorff - I went for the double taper design to allow use with wide angles.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    287

    Re: Suggestions for Deardorff 8x10 repair

    You might want to contact Ken Hough. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=73367
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    55

    Re: Suggestions for Deardorff 8x10 repair

    Yes, I've been touring the Deardorff related web sites and visiting the Ebay store showing remaining Deardorff parts. I picked up two new splitters (4x10 & 5X8) just the other day from there--with panoramic landscapes in mind. Sent an e-mail to Turner Bellows asking for price to replace the bellows. I'm inclined to send in the front and back standards as I'm not especially confident about attaching the bellows myself--something it seems needs to be done properly the first time. There would be some small parts to glue and clamp if the standards were away.

    Doug

  7. #7
    Daniel Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Posts
    2,091

    Re: Suggestions for Deardorff 8x10 repair

    Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    For a new bellows, contact Jim Ormond at Western Bellows (in California). He did a nice job on the new bellows for my Deardorff - I went for the double taper design to allow use with wide angles.
    I second the recommendation of Jim O.. He made a replacement set of bellows for my Master View(KMV 8X10), and did the "double taper" design on mine as well. I'd love to pick up a 150XL sometime in the next year or two, so it'll come in handy. The original bellows didn't really have the "double taper" design, and were more of just a straight-taper design, which has a greater chance of vignetting with shorter lenses, or with using larger amounts of rise. This IIRC is more of his 'standard' with bellows design.

    JUST MAKE SURE TO TELL HIM THAT YOU NEED THEM IN THE 2-3 WEEK RANGE. I waited til almost 4 weeks(I wasn't in a hurry mind you, I'm about 20min drive from him), but he originally quoted me 2-3 weeks work time. So, just so YOU don't have any problems, make sure to stipulate 3 weeks MAX build time. He's a nice guy, but admittedly, I think a little absent minded, since he works now out of his house.

    but his workmanship is great, and the bellows work perfectly, better than I originally expected!

    price wasn't too shabby either($300 + driving time from my end)

    -Dan

    here's some pics of my new set mounted up:




  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 1997
    Location
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Posts
    7,695

    Re: Suggestions for Deardorff 8x10 repair

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron McElroy View Post
    You might want to contact Ken Hough. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=73367
    Before using Ken Hough I'd suggest doing a search here and other places to see how satisfied others have been. For this forum just type the last name into the advanced search function - title only - and you'll find several threads.

    If I wanted a wood camera repaired I'd use Richard Ritter. I've never heard anyone say anything but good things about him and my one experience with him was excellent whereas my one experience with Ken Hough wasn't as bad as some people have had but wasn't real good either (detailed in another thread, no need to repeat).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    55

    Re: Suggestions for Deardorff 8x10 repair

    I've looked over the Deardorff bellows mounting (the rear bellows frame has screws on the outside of the back standard) and determined I could probably attach a new bellows myself. Has anyone any experience with new bellows available on Ebay from Ecbuyonline 2008 out of Hong Kong?

    I also received a message from Ken Hough noting that he has been providing new(?) track rails and "shoes" for sometime.

    Doug

Similar Threads

  1. differences betwen 4x5 5x7 and 8x10 when you shoot
    By luis prado in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-Jun-2008, 11:52
  2. 8x10 400NC vs. 4x5 160NC
    By Chad Shindel in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 7-Feb-2006, 20:50
  3. Bad lens suggestions for an 8x10.
    By Camille in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 16-Nov-2005, 07:20
  4. From Ebony RW45 to 8x10?
    By Steve Williams_812 in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 13-May-2004, 14:53
  5. Suggestions for first 8x10 lens
    By Brad Daniels in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 22-Aug-2000, 13:33

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •