Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7x11" and 5x12" - what are the options?

7x11" and 5x12" - what are the options?

I am a 4x5 shooter right now. Not too much action over last 6 mont (I am in the process of changing job). Since long time I was attracted by 7x11" and 5x12" formats. While I am not about to jump on the wagon, I might consider trading 4x5 for one of these (what would mean going BW only I guess) in the future. Maybe I would finally learn to do the BW right.

So just to be prepared:

My question would be - what are the 'modern' options in these formats? I would be interested generally in cameras that can still be carried in a back pack, so no super heavy monorails. What about the costs (camera, lens holders, tripod head)? I would be thinking of 2 lens setup - one a bit wider and one a bit longer than 'normal' (what ever that means with panoramic format) - maybe about 250 & 450 or there about.

thanks.

EDIT:
    - Forgot to mention - I would be shooting pretty much everything - landscapes, cityscapes, architecture a bit ...
    - I would of course love to hear your experience and opinions about particular cameras
    Matus

Lachlan 717

Re: 7x11" and 5x12" - what are the options?

Before asking any of these questions, I'd start with researching film options/availability. Not colour versus B&W; find out what film can you get ready-cut and how often is it available. Will you need to cut larger sheets to get these sizes? If so, can you live with this hassle?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Good point. My impression is that there are large orders here and then from Ilford (HP5+, FP4+) like once a year or so. Special sizes can be ordered from ADOX - 5x12" is one of the sizes available. So - one needs to think ahead, but in general it should possible to get something. I would try to avoid cutting the film myself.
    Matus

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Both 7x11 and 5x12 are available in the annual Ilford run. I will be selling a very nice (Chamonix) 7x11 kit in the near future since I ordered a new 10x12 camera which should be ready soon. It will have a 7x11 reducing back. Nice format!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Do or do not. There is no try.

5x12, 7x11, and 8x10 have virtually the identical diagonal, so any lens that covers 8x10 should do. The options range from antiquities to current production.

If desperate you can cut 11x14 film in half for 7x11. There aren't many options in 11x14 film, either, but possibly more than Ilford.

7x11 has been in my dreams for a couple of years, I like the aspect ratio. I just don't know if I can carry it around. Richard, how much does that Chamonix weigh?

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    Richard, how much does that Chamonix weigh?
    Very light 7 lbs 12 oz horizontal only camera.
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Do or do not. There is no try.

Light is relative, I guess. It's less than my Seneca wholeplate, at least...

OK, let me answer partially my own question. I am of course aware about Canham, Ritter, Chamonix, Shen Hao and Lotus (not sure whether they make 5x12, I guess it would be on the heavy side). However I have difficulties to find some more detailed information about Chamonix and Canham as they do not have the specs listed. I am sure we do have some users here - so, c'mon guys - make me a bit more envy and share your numbers
    Matus

Scott Davis

I've got a Canham 5x12. Not sure on the exact weight, but it uses the same chassis as the 5x7, so I'd probably put it under 8 lbs. It has 25" of bellows give or take an inch - same as the Canham 5x7. I have mine with a front standard made to take Linhof Technika boards, but you can also get it with a standard to take Canham 4x4 lensboards. I've had mine several years now and I really like it. The big headache with any 5x12 is the availability of 5x12 holders. I now have 8 - three cherry and five walnut. The three cherry holders don't quite match my camera, so they're off to someone to modify them so they fit. They're all AWB holders. Other than Lotus, I'm not sure who else would make them. Alan Brubaker is back in production from what I've heard, but he's not very regular. That's going to be true for any of these sizes though- it's the same half-dozen folks around the world making holders.

S&S makes 5x12 holders, among other sizes.