Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: First year Heliar's

Re: First year Heliar's

The larger 3.5 heliars tend to go for much more money than the 4.5 versions. All 3.5s 15cm and up are not as common as 4.5s and highly desired

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Deming View Post
    The larger 3.5 heliars tend to go for much more money than the 4.5 versions. All 3.5s 15cm and up are not as common as 4.5s and highly desired
    I know. I'm torn on selling it. It's one of these once-in-a-lifetime deals, I know I'll never be able to buy another one if I sell this one. Except I don't really see myself using it, if I keep it then I just have another shelf queen sitting there hoping to be picked one day. It does fit on my Anniversary Speed, whereas my 8" Pentac does not. So I could make a proper portrait camera out of it if I choose. Except I never shoot portraits.

All Heilars were common back in the day, low cost specially in barrel of all focal lengths. It was easy and common to find long focal length Heilars often used for 8x10 in barrel for $50 or so. Tried and used lots of them back in the day, passed many of them on for a variety of reasons.

The f3.5 Heilars were less common. Some were coated by Burke & James lens bank like this f3.5, 215mm in barrel. This is the only Heilar in the lens set today. It produces a nice out of focus rendition. Seems to be at it's best from f5.6 to f11 as the smallest working aperture. It is used with a Sinar shutter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	210mm f3.5 Heilar.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	214744

Honestly, do not care what this f3.5 Heilar is worth as the images it produces is it's real value.

Bernice