Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Post Search fails in IE9

Stefan

Re: New Post Search fails in IE9

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    No - every multitasking OS must intercept attempts to directly access the hardware. The times when you needed graphics cards drivers for each application and created a mess if a TSR drew to the screen in parallel to the main application ended with DOS...
    Everything is accessed though the OS, though the appropriate hardware layers. Chrome 10 and Firefox 4 also use assistance from the GPU. There are many ways to use a GPU, for example letting it do compositing (graphical) or computations through OpenCL/CUDA/DirectCompute etc.

IE9 just happened to be first to have it in a final version of their browser, the others are working on it as well. GPU assistance is being used in lots of computing intense software.

The impact will vary with the specifics of how it is implemented, it can make all the difference, or none at all. Whether or not a browser is GPU accelerated is insignificant in itself, it is the overall browser speed in actual use that matters.

I would have to ask what version of Safari ya'll run, but it really doesn't matter what browser and flavor you're running because much of the so-called speed are test results and the only real speed that matters is the real world and that depends on your computer, network connection, the network to any Website and the Web pages you're accessing. Put all of them in line and they're all within the speed of humans and the differences are lost or meaningless. What people think is speed, or not, is often the coding, apps and scripts in the Web pages and many Web pages using different or non-standards methods which causes browsers to perform and render pages differently. Often the more compliant the browser the less robust it is for bad Web pages.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Be sure to flush your browser cache.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Not on a Mac. Chrome smokes it like it was standing still.
    I'll have to take your word on that. I quit using Mac's about 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Check your security and cookie settings. The "New Posts" button is simply a link: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/search.php?do=getnew

So the problem isn't in the forum software, but is most likely in a user-adjustable browser setting. Therefore some cookie is not being set or read by the forum software. Take a look at your settings, or put the forum into a different security category.
    It fails on my work computer, but I just tried another and it worked. I'll try flushing my cache and try again.

Thanks for the info,

Ok, deleting cookies and history seemed to work. I'll try it on my laptop when I get home. It may have something to do with upgrading from IE8 to IE9 Beta, then IE9 RC, then IE9 Release.

Unfortunately, the problem returned the very next time I started IE.

FWIW, IE9 has been released, and will be offered to all Windows users next week, via Windows Update. I'd be curious to know if other IE9 users here are having the same issue.

Eric Biggerstaff

I just got a new desktop with IE9 and am having issues. I can use any single forum but when I click on Unified View I get an error stating that "Sorry - No Matches Found." I have cleared the cache, closed and started again, cleared the browser, you name it, I still get the error when I try to open Unified View. As I said, I can open any single forum, the sales and Lounge but not Unified. Very strange.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Biggerstaff View Post
    I just got a new desktop with IE9 and am having issues. I can use any single forum but when I click on Unified View I get an error stating that "Sorry - No Matches Found." I have cleared the cache, closed and started again, cleared the browser, you name it, I still get the error when I try to open Unified View. As I said, I can open any single forum, the sales and Lounge but not Unified. Very strange.
    I don't think that's an IE9 problem - it's been happening to me lately as well, Safari on a Mac.

When that happens, I copy the Unified View link and paste it manually in the address bar. That works just fine.

Oh, and it's not caching issue either.

Eric Biggerstaff

Thanks Marko, I will try that.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com