Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to LF: understanding what I see on the ground glass

New to LF: understanding what I see on the ground glass

Hi,
    Completely new to large format, apologies if this is a dumb-as-rocks newbie question.

I just got a no-name 4x5 field camera with a simple glass screen (no Fresnel) and a Schneider Zenar 135 4.7.

Put them together and pointed the camera out of my office window. Now, on the glass I see the image of the scene outside, which is good, but also a very distinct sharp-edged shadow of the aperture. I notice that this shadow moves around with my gaze. What is this? I know that what my eye sees is not what the film picks up but this seems very odd. I don't want a shadow of the aperture on my negs.

Never seen anything remotely like this on any of my 135 nor 120 cameras.

Any advice on how to understad this very welcome. Is this the "hot spot" that folks mention?

Best Regards,
    Keith

Re: New to LF: understanding what I see on the ground glass

Odd -- the aperture is round -- so is a round shadow?

Check inside the camera -- our students sometimes have a sheet of film pop out of the holder into the camera.

Perhaps this is what you are seeing...

Light spreads out from the lens and radiates out to the GG. The image will be brightest on the GG where one's eyes are looking at the GG in the direction of the aperture. But this is the opposite of a shadow (a bright spot) and is not sharped edge.

If you have a digital camera, photograph the GG and this shadow and post it here. That will help us!

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Odd -- the aperture is round -- so is a round shadow?
    Wide open, yes, a round shadow. Stopped down the shadow is the shape of the aperture blades.

Check inside the camera -- our students sometimes have a sheet of film pop out of the holder into the camera.
    No foreign bodies in the camera.

Light spreads out from the lens and radiates out to the GG. The image will be brightest on the GG where one's eyes are looking at the GG in the direction of the aperture. But this is the opposite of a shadow (a bright spot) and is not sharped edge.
    Yes, I was expecting a soft vignette but this is hard edged. Note, by "shadow" I mean a hard-edged light/dark transition. The bright part is in the middle.

See the attched photo. The effect doesn't photograph well, but is in the top left quarant of the GG. Tot he nakes eye it looks like a brighter pentagon overlaid on the scene.

Thanks,
    Keith

You have your camera pointed at the sun or some other very bright point source of illumination. What you're seeing is lens flare.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Braithwaite View Post
    I know that what my eye sees is not what the film picks up but this seems very odd.
    Actually, one of the major advantages of LF is that you see exactly on the GG what will be recorded on the film.

Looks like lens flare. Try pointing the camera away from the sun's direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stahlke View Post
    You have your camera pointed at the sun or some other very bright point source of illumination. What you're seeing is lens flare.
    I did wonder if it was flare, so that's astonishingly bad. There is neither a very bright source (of any size) nor a point source (of any brightness) in the scene. Attached is what the iPhone sees from the same viewpoint.

According to this my lens was made in the early 50's so no surprise that it has some level of internal reflections...oh well, it was only meant to be my starter lens.

So, I need a hood the size of a bucket.

Thanks,
    Keith

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Braithwaite View Post
    So, I need a hood the size of a bucket.
    Thanks,
    Keith
    Not necessarily...have you tried just holding a darkslide to shield the brightest source of light falling onto the bellows (sun, bright sky). You might be surprised to see that bright pentagon vanish (but make sure you are not intruding into the image formation path with the slide!). Nice digi-photo BTW....
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

I haven't tried much of anyhting yet: camera and lens arrived in the post this morning. Experimentation will have wait until my return from a business trip.

Thanks all for your comments and advice.

Keith

PS: Richard, thanks. There's lots of intersting jumbled uban scenes around this part of London (which is partly what I want the LF for). Only problem is the persistantly blank overcast skies...

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

It's not flare, it's not a strong light source somewhere inside or outside the frame.

And it won't be recorded on film either.

It's simply that your ground glass is slightly transparent, so you are looking AT the aperture THROUGH the ground glass.

Don't worry. The rest of us have learned to ignore it, that's why you got so many wrong answers!

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    It's simply that your ground glass is slightly transparent, so you are looking AT the aperture THROUGH the ground glass.
    A-ha! That makes perfect sense. I was a bit puzzled, as with flare I'd epxect to see a bunch of pentagons.

Well, well.

Thanks,
    Keith