Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buyer Beware

Buyer Beware

Just bought a speed Graflex on e-bay! Piece of junk when it arrived. Of course, the old fart wouldn't take it back. Said it was in perfect shape when he mailed it. My fault, should have know something was wrong when he said had old film for the camera. 30 years old, it turned out to be. Can't trust anybody these days.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Buyer Beware

How do you know the seller is an old fart? Perhaps he is just a curmudgeon.

Joshua Tree, California

File a Paypal dispute and you'll get your money back.

30 years old is not old enough??

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Isn't there some kind of dispute thing you can do? At least leave bad feedback on the seller.

Only if you used PayPal, another e-bay ripoff. E-bay isn't really interested in doing anything for buyers, only sellers, since that's who they make their money off of. Have a lot of experience with e-bay. Don't know when I'm going to learn. Like I said, my fault. Guy didn't even have a rating with them. Mine's always been 100%. Not the first time I've dealt with a bogus seller. The folks I've done business with for years take my checks. They aren't worried about me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kelsey View Post
    File a Paypal dispute and you'll get your money back.
    File a dispute like Ed recommends. Ebay favors Buyers so you should have no problem getting your money back.

Dishonest Sellers come in all ages.

File

If you feel wronged, file a dispute.

A couple of years ago eBay changed the feedback and payment to seller system to turn the tide of bias somewhat away from sellers and more fair toward buyers. I haven't followed the result on this, but it came as a result of the purported bias toward sellers, along with sellers use of feedback in a retaliatory fashion.

I do know it changed the system somewhat as Sellers had limitations put on their ability to give any feedback until after the buyer received, or acknowledged (by feedback) receipt. Seller payment was withheld depending on their statistics, until receipt was documented or acknowledged, or for 30 days.

I think it's a deliberate fiction to say that eBay favors sellers over buyers. The system is routinely adjusted to deal with these issues. On the other hand, many buy without looking closely at the sellers listings and statistics. Still there is much more safety involved than other venues of buy/sell, such as local advertising and Craigslist.

I do quite well on eBay and I teach eBay classes at a local community college as well. I strongly support the system, given proper cautions, of course. Yes, hackers and scammers do exist there, but they are patently obvious.

Even on eBay, if it looks like too good a deal, it probably is.

My two basics, or requirements...

99.5 positive feedback or better requiired
    A reasonable amount of feed back spread evenly and unbrokenly (timewise) over at least a year.

Those two, plus more or no bid. Your bad experiences will wither away.

If you don't pay by paypal you're a little stuck.

On personal transactions of a high value I try and avoid it, but on smaller transactions and using ebay it is, though I bite my tongue to say it, invaluable.

A few weeks ago. I had a camera arrive that was totally rubbish. I sent it back, the guy said I'd damaged it and he couldn't sell it on, so I filed an ebay dispute. Ebay then reversed the paypal money that he was withdrawing, and held it until he agreed to refund. Job done.

Re: File

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post

I think it's a deliberate fiction to say that eBay favors sellers over buyers.

Deliberate fiction? A lie?

There are quite a few Sellers on this format and elsewhere that feel that Ebay favors Buyers over Sellers in disputes.

I both buy and sell on Ebay. I have absolutely nothing to gain from handing out deliberate fiction about Ebay.