Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Epson scanner 4990 vs the V700 and V750

Re: Epson scanner 4990 vs the V700 and V750

Quote Originally Posted by David Low View Post
    Do you think that the Epsons are reasonably ok for the smaller films up to around x5 magnification
    “Reasonably okay?” – the short answer is “yes.” However, the more important your tiny details, even on a 5x7 print from 35mm film, the more you’re going to be wishing for a Leica Focomat or a Nikon Coolscan. (For example, finer textures, like on a close-up flower petal…)

I guess that one inexpensive scanner handling all sizes of film really well is maybe too good to be true!
    This reminds me of a saying from the software business: You can have high quality. You can have it fast. You can have it cheap. But you can only pick two.

Ever since Nikon stopped making their MF scanner, people like us have had to face a similar conundrum. If you already have lots of 35mm and MF work, and you want to scan it at high quality, it's going to cost you some money. Either to get a good scanner, or to pay someone to scan your work.

Someone may fill the gap in the market, but it's hard to know that with any certainty.

to contribute a much less scientific response than our professionals above , here's my take on the 4990:

- I have been very impressed with its abilities scanning 5x7" and larger sheets. (have also done WP & 8x10.) I use a "betterscanning" ANR glass and tape the negs to it. I found that the right height for mine was a couple dimes. i.e. ~2mm above the platen.
    - for 4x5" I use the supplied epson holder (for convenience) and performance is OK. Much less "wow" for sure.
    - I've made 11x14" enlargements from medium format film on the 4990 in the past; they needed careful sharpening. now use a Nikon.
    - I would scan 35mm on the epson only for web display. I don't think I'd try to print from that. Ya really want a film scanner for those little ones..

"... they needed careful sharpening"

That says it all !

I noticed sometimes that when scanning 5x7, it is better not to sharpen, because sharpening introduces artifacts which spoil the analog quality of the image.

ARS KC2UU

Apologies if this is an old topic, but I am thinking about getting myself a scanner to cover 35mm, medium and large format negatives (up to 5x7 size). Here in the UK the 4990 seems to go (second hand) for around £200 or a bit more depending on condition, while the V700 and V750 are around £450 and £650 new, and of course probably a bit less than that second hand.

Is is worth paying out the extra for the current models, or do people think that for normal amateur usage and black and white negs that the 4990 is sufficient? I don't think that I am being mean, but I would rather not pay out more if I am not going to be able to tell the difference.
    David:

I'm an amateur photographer like you and I bought a used Epson 4990 scanner 2+ years ago.

With it I've made several thousand scans of my films from 35-mm up to 8x10-inch which is the largest film I've ever used.

Some here in this thread have suggested the newer versions of the Epson machines are a bit better than the 4990 but for my purposes the 4990 will suffice until it eventually quits... at which time I will upgrade to a newer version.

Some here have also suggested buying aftermarket film holders and that may be a good idea. Although I've never found the need because the original plastic ones have been suitable for my purpose. They are a bit flimsy and one has to be careful with them but overall they've served my purpose. Except for my 6x17-cm frames for which I use a homemade film holder that I cut from an old heavyweight hanging-file folder. Works like a charm and the scans are sharp enough to make 30-inch wide prints.

I would say if you can find a low mileage 4990 it would be a good choice for a first scanner. Then upgrade a year or two down the road when you need additional features. The problem will be to find one that has not been worked to death like mine has. I wouldn't sell mine because it has too many hours on it. It's virtually never powered-down.

Here are some examples of scans I've made with it in 35-mm, 120 medium format, 4x5-inch LF, and 8x10-inch LF respectively for a visual comparison.

Hope you find what you need

Cheers. Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

I think the two reviews linked below are probably the most extensive for the V700 and V750 with comparisons with the older Epson 4990 as well as the Nikon 9000. The reviewer was fairly thorough and comes to some interesting conclusions and shows examples as well of the comparison scans. For the OP I think both reviews would be well worth your reading and studying.

One thing I have not seen mentioned in the comments of this thread are the dynamic range or dmax of the respective scanners. I own the 4990 and have for many years and can tell you with no hesitation this has been its achilles heel of the 4990 more than pixel peeping detail. In this regard I imagine the newer scanners would perform noticeably better. If you are using films like Velvia regardless of its size this will be a significant issue.

I don't agree with one comment about not utilizing USM on scans however, but how you go about it is crux of the matter.

First the link for the V700

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...700/page_1.htm

and now the V750

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...750/page_1.htm

Thanks - Those are wonderful articles.

I will now fiddle with the height settings, and see if I can mimic in Medium Format, what can be done with the betterscanning holder. The MF holders do a nice job of keeping roll film flat. I'm not crazy about taping my film to the glass all the time.

Octogenarian

Ken,

This is anecdotal.

Utilizing the wet mount tray that came with my Epson V750 scanner:

HP-5+ negatives are placed directly on the the tray glass. Emulsion side contacting the glass. The negative is held flat with a piece of anti-Newton Ring glass, textured surface contacting the shiny base side of the film.

Eliminates Newton Rings, and has the same result as wet mounting, without the hassle or the mess to clean up.

Tell the scanner it is scanning a B&W negative in a film holder (above the scanner's glass).

I have used this method to scan HP-5+ film in medium format (120), 4x5, and 5x7.

After comparing the sharpness utilizing the Epson plastic film holders and also mounting the negative directly on the scanner glass. This method proved to be the sharpest.

Note: If you are using film that has a shiny surface on both the emulsion and the base side, this method does not eliminate Newton Rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Someone may fill the gap in the market, but it's hard to know that with any certainty.
    You are right - someone will fill the gap: https://reflecta.de/en/products/deta...available.html . Reflecta site shows availability June 2011.

Excellent news !

If it's reasonably priced, has genuine resolution of 3200 spi, and a good DMAX, they should sell a lot of them !!

If they want someone to write a review, I'll be happy to volunteer

I won't throw away my MF negatives yet !