Thread: Majestic Trypods and Heads

Majestic Trypods and Heads

I'm still looking for a head for my 3050 Bogen and a green (monster) 8x10 Calume t.In looking back over past postings I haven't seen much on Majestic trypods and heads (1200 series). From time to time they pop up no ebay and look quite stout (alot more often and at less cost than a Reis). Has any body used them and what are their opion? My main goal is to shoot landscapes and buildings. Thanks, Beau

Beau: I have a Majestic tripod and 1200 head I have had for years and use it constantly. The heads lock down very solid. The only thing I have had to do to mine was to adjust the end play in the gear that tilts the head forward. It is a real simple adjustment. Just remove the handle and adjust it underneath where the handle goes. It has a nice big platform for the camera to sit on and plenty of finger grip space on the mount bolt. I use mine both for 4x5 and 8x10. It isn't as heavy as my Zone XI tripod with Bogen head. I don't like the Bogen head because of the quick mount system. Perhaps it should be called the quick drop system. I haven't dropped a camera off the Bogen, but I have other tripods with the quick mount system. I am afraid of them. I highly recommend the Majestic. It is professional gear and built to last a lifetime of heavy use.

Good shooting, Doug.

I second Doug, for the Calumet C series a Majestic or Saltzman is the way to go. Brett and Cole used 'em on a Ries, but as you say, there's a cost factor involved. When you search Ebay for your Majestic, make sure to search the entire site, not just photography. I found a good one in "hand tools" and won it for $30.00

I second Sean. This is a great tripod although somewhat bulky. I used one for years with a Calumet C-1 and never had a problem with it plus I lucked into a great deal by buying it from a friend who was shutting down his business. I got the legs, head, and some other stuff for $25. Couldn't turn that down! Don't know what sort of deal you may be able to find on this, but as far as I'm concerned, for both field and studio use, the Majestic can never be beaten. As an aside, when I first got the Calumet 8x10 I was using the top line Bogen also and was never comfortable with it. I love Bogen tripods for smaller formats, but the 8x10 (I felt) was just too much for any of their combinations.

I have just taken delivery on a Majestic tripod and gear head. This will be the second I have owned, having sold the first with a camera outfit some years ago. I have found few that are as sturdy as this equipment.

It appears that Bencher Mfg in Chicago has dusted off the old dies and patterns and is now making new units from the old patterns. Still the same rugged machines.

Available at Calumet. I'm not sure if anyone else is carrying them.

I just made an adapter out of aluminum to enable my Majestic 1600 to fit on my Linhof twinleg. I previously made an adapter to replace the head on the Linhof. What I now have is a 2-1/2" diameter disc with a 3/8"-16 threaded stud (just like a Bogen). I machined a 1-1/2" diameter cylinder with a 2" flange (looks like a top hat) and drilled and tapped a 3/8-16 hole in the base. I screw it onto the Linhof and slide the Majestic on and tighten the handwheel. Works great! Do I call this thing a Linjestic or a Malinhof? Whichever, this system allows me to use any head I have on any tripod I have. Handy! If you are interested, a friend of mine has an older Majestic head and leg set that he would be willing to part with for a reasonable price. Let me know and I'll put you in touch with him.