Thread: G'Day LFF

G'Day LFF

Well hi everyone and greetings from my bit of Australia.

I joined the forum a week or so ago and have spent many many hours reading through hundreds of posts when I really ought to be working!

There is such a wealth of knowledge here - it is extraordinary. And a credit to the LF community.

I currently shoot landscapes on DSLR but am feeling like I want to move towards something with perhaps a touch more zen - and perhaps a bit more artistic integrity. After looking at some of the landscape work posted here and elsewhere I was immediately taken with the quality and tonal range of the images.

I hope to get myself a hike-able 4x5 field cam in the near future (I have been furiously reading recommendations and pros and cons) and jump in to this new format with both feet. I know I have much to learn but I am really looking forward to the journey and I am sure this amazing resource will help along the way. I do at least have some prior experience with film - mostly black and white 35mm.

I expect to make many mistakes. But I am sure looking forward to the ride.

Look forward to bumping into you around the place.

Re: G'Day LFF

Welcome to group therapy!

G'day Boinzo,
    There's quite a few LF shooters in Oz, especially in Melbourne. Occasoinally we do meet up and exchange ideas and chat about what we're doing and what we're using. If you're ever going to be in Canberra send me a pm and wecan arrange to meet up. Welcome to the group.
    Mike

welcome.

i spent some time at griffith uni many years back......loved it.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Thanks for the welcome.

Mike - I do very occassionally make it down south. Next time I'm heading to Canberra I'll let you know. Thanks for the invite - it's always good to hook up and chat about picture making.

Eddie - yeah Griffith Uni is a good place to study photography from all reports!

I'm on the wait list with Hugo for a Chamonix 4x5 in May so that should get me started. There is such an array of camera options with so many pros and cons it's a little bewildering. But I get the feeling that the Chamonix will be a good first camera and light enough not to drive me mad. Now I just need to decide on a wide-angle and find one I can afford.

At the moment I'm messing around with an old Canon 1N 35mm and Velvia 50 so I can get my head back around reciprocity etc. since I like to make very long exposure seascapes.

And I'm re-reading Ansel!

As usual we country hicks from WA just get left out and don't get to meet any of you slickers from the East.

Greetings from another in Brisbane. Not many large format cameras around town but I know of 6 in total. Good to add another one to the ranks

Hullo from Melbourne!!

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/