Page 73 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: Paper negatives

Re: Paper negatives

Keep at it Tony, do some bracketing to get an idea of how to meater the scene ad rate the paper. I havn't done pre flashing but It seems to help.

Lovely Ray, how do you do your preflash?
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Nicholas I do pre-flash under my enlarger with no contrast control filter.

I've previously done test strips to determine the exposure time just short of causing noticeable fogging.

Here in Australia the light is quite harsh so I generally use both both pre-flashing and exposure through a yellow filter.

Pre-flash also has the advantage of increasing the ISO by about 2 stops.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-09-12-Tenambit-Sml.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	150155

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    seems to me you've got a lot going on; images are quite blurry, negs seem to show light leaks, negs are under exposed and contrast is too high. Perhaps your concentrating too much on taking technique and processing issues.
    I'd suggest go back to basics, remember the KISS principal, pre-flash and or use a yellow filter, avoid harsh lighting situations at first and test expose at 1.5, 3, 6, 12 ISO.
    ]
    Hi Ray thank you for your observations and suggestions.
    I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle - the amount of 'technical info provided' was a bit over the top, but I hoped it would help the respondent to my posting.
    You're right about light leaks, but this problem was peculiar to one DDS (the bridge and a not-posted image] - reason not yet obvious.
    Not certain as to why the blurriness of the results as I used a 8x loupe and am pretty certain that the gg image was in focus.
    The underexposure is because I did not alter the meter reading to compensate for the dark scenes and/or because I'm using a tank to develop the papers hence I cannot monitor the image as it develops.
    I have not tried pre-flashing , but will do
    regards
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by stawastawa View Post
    Keep at it Tony, do some bracketing to get an idea of how to meater the scene ad rate the paper.
    Thanks Nicholas.
    regards
    Tony

Cogito, ergo sum

Am i the only one who tried to load the paper into holder (8x10 Fidelity Elite) but failed because its too tight? Needed about 2mm cut off.
    Life = Love + Passion + Responsibility

I'm using both Ilford multigrade and Oriental papers in 8x10 fidelity elite holders and the paper is perfectly sized. With my 4x5, though, I'm trimming about 2mm.

Hi Tony,

More on paper negatives here...
    http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?...gatives.87180/

Like Ray, I pre-flash under the enlarger using a diffuser under the lens.
    Trimming the paper to fit a film holder is to be expected.
    An edge guide on the trimmer avoids "clipped fingernails"...

Developing under a safelight using diluted developers (just like regular printing) simplifies learning the technique.

Have fun.
    Reinhold

www.re-inventedPhotoEquip.com

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhold Schable View Post
    I pre-flash under the enlarger using a diffuser under the lens.
    Trimming the paper to fit a film holder is to be expected. An edge guide on the trimmer avoids "clipped fingernails"...
    Developing under a safelight using diluted developers (just like regular printing) simplifies learning the technique.
    Reinhold, thanks for info.
    I don't have a problem with paper - I cut a 8"x10" sheet into four pieces [100mm x 125mm] using a rotary cutter. The 'adjustable setting arm' permits easy cutting to an exact size.
    I'm looking into pre-flashing, but as I do not have an enlarger I'll be trying with a flash gun set at its lowest power and bounced from a ceiling.
    For various reasons I prefer not to tray-develop, hence my use of a Jobo tank and sheet "film" insert.
    All other things being equal, the only variable between tray and tank development is time. Tray-developing allowing for observable reaction, Tank-development means using an assumption that needs proving by iteration.
    Rather than introducing a third variable at this time, I've four exposed paper negatives that I intend to process as before except that the development time will be 1m rather than the 1m 30s used on the first four.
    Once I've got reasonable developed paper negatives, then I'll experiment with pre-flashing - which I gather alters (can alter) the assumed ISO rating of the paper????
    regards
    Tony

First post on this site, been dabbling with paper negs on and off, but love em for the cheapness some outdated "jessops" branded 10x8 grade 1 paper, inverted with witchcraft called photoshop Playing with the tilts and swings of my Sinar P , rated at iso 6 on a bright low clouded dayClick image for larger version. 

Name:	img894w.jpg 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	150188Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img891w.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	150189Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img890w.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	150190

Quote Originally Posted by tonyowen View Post
    Reinhold, thanks for info.
    I don't have a problem with paper - I cut a 8"x10" sheet into four pieces [100mm x 125mm] using a rotary cutter. The 'adjustable setting arm' permits easy cutting to an exact size.
    I'm looking into pre-flashing, but as I do not have an enlarger I'll be trying with a flash gun set at its lowest power and bounced from a ceiling.
    For various reasons I prefer not to tray-develop, hence my use of a Jobo tank and sheet "film" insert.
    All other things being equal, the only variable between tray and tank development is time. Tray-developing allowing for observable reaction, Tank-development means using an assumption that needs proving by iteration.
    Rather than introducing a third variable at this time, I've four exposed paper negatives that I intend to process as before except that the development time will be 1m rather than the 1m 30s used on the first four.
    Once I've got reasonable developed paper negatives, then I'll experiment with pre-flashing - which I gather alters (can alter) the assumed ISO rating of the paper????
    regards
    Tony
    Yep, have a go Tony.

Regarding development time - my understanding has always been that photographic paper should be fully developed for at least the recommended time. Pulling a print when it 'looks right' is never a good option. This approach also eliminates one possible variable. Unlike film developing, extending development time of paper has little effect whilst pulling a print early can result in weak tones.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-01-16-ChellesGlobe-Tenambit.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	150195

nice tones! is that photoshop witchery or did you get your paper exposure nailed down!
    sure is some big movement there. but neat. I like the portrait by then fence and tree the most. fun to be led down to the subject with focus and fence line. the tree in focus is a bit distracting/competing with the person... which could be great!

Quote Originally Posted by John keys View Post
    First post on this site, been dabbling with paper negs on and off, but love em for the cheapness some outdated "jessops" branded 10x8 grade 1 paper, inverted with witchcraft called photoshop Playing with the tilts and swings of my Sinar P , rated at iso 6 on a bright low clouded dayClick image for larger version. 

Name:	img894w.jpg 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	150188Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img891w.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	150189Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img890w.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	150190

Re Flashing:
    I have heard of people flashing by exposing to a white matboard in front of the lens for a certain amount of time. If you are always going to flash, then using an enlarger seems like the way to go. Ray, have some more comparisons of flashed vs not flashed exposures?

And didnt you post that globe once before ray? I like it =)
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail