Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Enlarger Suggestions

Re: 8x10 Enlarger Suggestions

For a normal sized darkroom, a Beseler MXT or VXL enlarger with the 8x10 conversion works pretty well. Most dedicated 8x10 enlargers are enormous, tall, heavy beasts that often require more space than one would have in a typical darkroom.

I don't believe that 8x10 is always more expensive than 4x5. Most people will shoot much less film than with 4x5 and the whole process is slower. I only use a few lenses for 8x10 but have many for 4x5 and was always looking for the next one.

The 8x10 enlarger is the commitment and the money though. You will have to be patient and/or willing to drive a long way to find what you need. There is a simple knock-off for the Beseler 8x10 conversion out there. If you are handy, you could make that yourself and rig up an 8x10 LED light source. That would be an adventure in itself. The only LED adaptations I have seen are for 4x5.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    If someone hears of a lab that is dumping or giving away a light source for a Durst 138 5X7 enlarger let me know, I've never seen this happen.

Curt, I can't remember, are you looking for ANY head or a Dichroic head? Here is a Durst 138 condenser head for $85 on eaby.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Durst-138-enlarg...#ht_500wt_1156

In terms of the OP, there is a Tabletop 5x7 enlarger $125 (looks like Elwood): http://maine.craigslist.org/pho/2173920855.html

Drew Wiley

8X10 enlargers have recently sold anywhere from a hundred grand right down to
    absolutely free. You just have to get lucky. Durst are the best, but many older enlargers require a bit of shop skills to refurbish. Light sources are going to affect the price more than anything else. For just black and white work, an oversize cold light is ideal, but finding one with much life left on the lamp is going to be difficult. An often overlooked resource is architectural salvage outlets - when a building containing an old lab is demolished or renovated, this kind of equipment is basically
    treated as trash. I've had to turn down free enlargers just because I don't have any
    room to store them. But it's a lot easier to find smaller enlargers.

No Urban Myth at all, I was there! (Sadly)

When the lab I worked for was going through the transition to fully digital a few fully operational pro grade enlargers literally went to the dumpster. Saddest was a nice Deverre 8X10, in good condition, some of the lenses also to went for trash, believe it. Nearly cried when I saw the Deverre in the garbage.
    I then was able to convince the owners to let me try to find homes for the rest of the good stuff, which, for the most part, I did.
    Same thing happened at another place, as I was good friends with someone there.
    Mostly, this was because they just didn't want to take the time to try to find homes for these cast off's.
    Keith

I've got an Elwood. Actually I don't just have an Elwood, I have a relationship with it. Elwoods are like that. A Beseler 45 with an 8x10 kit woud be far more convenient, but if I were into convenience I wouldn't be futzing around with an 8x10 camera now would I?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Just come to Cleveland and I will give you an 8X10 Elwood!
    I'm tired of decorating it for Christmas.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by panchro-press View Post
    Just come to Cleveland and I will give you an 8X10 Elwood!

Dave
    I can drive to Cleveland, if it will fit into my darkroom. How tall is this beast and is a darkroom with a 7'-ish ceiling workable for it?

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by panchro-press View Post

Dave
    I do that every year with a circa 1950 dental office machine that looks like a saguaro cactus (which is actually a tree and not a cactus).
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I have a friend who is selling out his 8x10 stuff which includes a Beseler 8x10 MX enlarger with the Beseler 8x10 head and several negative carriers and lens boards. The Beseler 240mm lens (prefered focal length for this set up) is included in the total enlarger set. If there is some sincere interest I would be happy to put together some pictures and a list of items included, along with his pricing for this kit. The only catch would be that you would need to pick up this total kit in Waco, TX. Actually, there are some teriffic landscapes along the way just waiting for you to capture with your new 8x10. You may PM me if you like or let me know how to contact you. Good luck with your new photographic venture. You are going to love the quality that an 8x10 can generate.

Jim Ewins

I have an 8x10 Elwood with a swivel lens. Pick up only, Seattle $300.