Thread: has anyone used the Sinar zoom 2 roll film holder? good? bad? worth $3000?

has anyone used the Sinar zoom 2 roll film holder? good? bad? worth $3000?

Does anyone have experience using the Sinar zoom 2 multiformat roll film back? I s it worth the $3000.00 price? I would be using it for both studio and travel wi th a Linhof techV. Thanks for the help.

Are you going to use multiple formats? Are you looking for a rollfilm back that takes 120 and 220? Are you looking for a roll film back that can slip under the groundglass?

If the answer to these questions is yes than it is worth the money. I've owned a fixed format (6x7cm) Sinar rollfilm back and it was superbly engineered and have me excellent service. If you get the Sinar back It is also worth the money to get an extra film cartride or two.

Are you going to use multiple formats? Are you looking for a rollfilm back that takes 120 and 220? Are you looking for a roll film back that can slip under the groundglass?

If the answer to these questions is yes than it is worth the money. I've owned a fixed format (6x7cm) Sinar rollfilm back and it was superbly engineered and gave me excellent service. If you get the Sinar back It is also worth the money to get an extra film cartride or two.

I use the sinar zoom 2 about 9 months with the Linhof technika. I find it a great tool and often switch between 6x9 and 6x12. There are only two disadvantages. You can not replace the film in a hurry, it needs time. You need more force to mount the film holder because of the thickness (2cm almost 1 inch). This can result in unintentionel moving the camera. The price in USA is about two times higher then here in the Netherlands. You could ask the distributor here ( see http://www.photal.nl) probably they sent to USA.

The main advantage of the Sinar zoom 2 rollfilm holder is that in a single piece of equipment, not that much larger than a Polaroid film back, five different formats can be used, ranging from 6x4.5 to 6x12. In England the cost is about $1800 which would buy you at least two fixed format rollfilm backs. Which to buy depends on your requirements. I have used it for several months on a Linhof Technikardan S but I understand from a review in View Camera Magazine that it does not fit all camera backs. I would advise trying it out on your camera before buying. Although well designed, the instructions do need to be followed carefully. With careful use it should give years of trouble free use but I dont feel it would tolerate much mishandling. It does take time to replace the film and inserting the holder into the film back can disturb the position of the camera. On the Technikardan I find it works best to remove the film back from the camera, insert the film holder, and then reattach the back to the camera. I have noticed that with the weight of the holder (32 ounces), the back of the camera may drop slightly after the holder is inserted. Watch the spirit levels closely and adjust as necessary. Overall the film holder is well built but on each side of the front of the holder are two narrow channels running most of the length of the holder, which because of their depth could allow light to leak through. A small amount of filler inserted into these channels has solved this problem.

John, the $3000 price is excessive. Get it from an european retailer. You shoul d be able to get it for $1.600 to $1.800. I think Robert White in UK has very reasonable prices. The Z oom 2 is a very nice tool and solid when used with cares. It fits the tech V very well. The Graflock groov es have desappeared on this version. Some cameras won't accept it (Wista) but can use the older Zoom 1 or Vario with the Graflock system.

I bought the Zoom back from PSL here in Germany and it cost about 1800 USD. Although I mainly us the 6X7 and 6X9 formats, it's just nice to know that I can shoot 6X12 and 4.5 X 6 if I have to.

Concerning the SINAR ZOOM 2 (which by the way costs USD 1700, not 3000), I like : - the possibility of changing formats ,according to the type of subject. I particularly appreciate the 6X12 format for certain landscape situations

- It is a very well built and precise instrument

And I dislike :

- It is heavy and bulky

- It is a core to load and unload in location. You almost need a table to do the job properly. Also it is not easy to operate and even when travelling you should always have the manual with you and read it again. just to be sure you are not forgetting something. Pedro

Regarding Sinar Zoom II Holders: I now have three of them and love them! I no longer have to take up my concentration to remove the ground glass back (and place it somewhere where I won't kick it, step on it, or just put it at risk). The film seems to be consistently flat, and the format options make me feel "empowered" with visual possibilities. The main drawback is that it is a delicate piece of equipment (Sinar mentions several times in the instruction book, not to "force" anything), and it has a substantial weakness for clogging up the black felt light trap and causing SCRATCHES. I regularly blow out the holders and occasionally run a piece of Scotch tape through the traps (at recommendation of Sinar techs), to pickup dirt. They are also real expensive, so I am leasing two (lease to purchase), and bought one model used. Despite the potential problems, I Love them!