Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durst Laborator 1200 Help

Durst Laborator 1200 Help

Forgive me for my inexperience with enlargers, but I recently came across a Durst Laborator 1200 enlarger. I had no idea the thing would be 6 feet tall! On the table I have it on it can be extended almost to it's full height, but that is still not enough to create an 8x10 print. I have tried both the 152/151 condensor lenses as shown in my manual as well as the 50/80 combination lens. Neither one produces an image larger than a 3 by 5 index card. Can anyone tell me why this might be? I also have 3 enlarger lenses - all Nikon - an 80mm, a 105mm, and a 135mm. None of the three lenses seem to make a difference in the size of the image.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, my only experience with enlargers has been at my local film institute where the enlargers are maintained for us. Thanks in advance!

Re: Durst Laborator 1200 Help

There is something wrong with the way the enlarger is set up, a 16x20 or larger is easy with that enlarger.

You should be using a 152 on the top and a 151 on the bottom, with a 150mm with a 4x5 neg mounting on a Lapla 50 which is not a recessed or an extension lens board either as the lens sticks out of the back but just a fraction.

That set up is good for 1.7x to 7.3x enlargements.

Both 152 are used together for .7x to 1.3 times enlargements only.

Can you take a few pictures, even cell phone snaps of the head so we can see the setup?
    Last edited by Allen in Montreal; 20-Feb-2011 at 17:26. Reason: typo

Like Allen wrote...Pictures please!

One wild guess is that there may be a 35mm negative carrier in place, but that is just a guess.

What size negative would you like to enlarge?

I've attached some photos, not sure if they're the ones you need to identify the problem. I'm actually trying to print 35mm right now (which I understand I'm on a large format forum and I probably should have clarified that first!), but ultimately I do plan to use the enlarger for large format. I'm just trying to work out the kinks with film I don't care about.

To print a 35mm neg you need to have the 50 on top the 80 on the bottom using an 50 or 80mm lens mounted on the Lapla 39 flat lens board.

I don't know your exact head configuration, but there are others here that have the same head and hopefully they will chime in soon. Something about the pictures does not feel like it jives but I can't put my finger on it not having the same unit.

the 80mm lens is currently the one I have mounted. I've attached an image of the other condensor lens the guy who gave me the enlarger had - only when I put it in the image is no longer square and takes on a sort of oval shape. Also, the guy has what appears to be a standard incandescent light bulb in it, I'm assuming I should probably change that?

Thanks so much for your help, you are all really awesome!

I can offer a bit of help. I can't remember the right condensers to use for this enlarger, as I use the same Durst chassis, but with the diffusion head. I think the bulb you need is a # 212. In fact, I think there are 3, #211, 212, and 213, same base but with different wattage ratings. The base is the same as a standard incandesent, but the frosting is more even for proper light distribution. Without the proper lamp, you won't get the proper coverage. There is likely some info on the net that should tell you which one to use.
    The "normal" lens for printing 35mm is 50mm, and longer ones will work, only the amount of magnification is greatly less, which is what it sounds like you are getting.
    Also, the amount of bellows extension for 35mm should be much less than your pictures show.
    This will sound like a commercial, but I might have a spare 50mm lens that would fit your enlarger, PM me, if you're interested.
    Keith

I was wondering if the bellows extension was the problem - the bellows appear to be completely fixed and the knob that (I think) is supposed to move the lens toward the negative turns but does not move anything. Perhaps that's my issue?

Something is not working correctly there by the sounds of it.
    The upper knob moves the entire lens stage and the silver rods up and down.
    The lower knob only moves the lens stage along a smaller portion of the 2 silver rods.
    You should see a change in bellows extension with movement of either of the two.
    (I think I am explaining this poorly, sorry)

Quote Originally Posted by exptherainbow View Post
    I was wondering if the bellows extension was the problem - the bellows appear to be completely fixed and the knob that (I think) is supposed to move the lens toward the negative turns but does not move anything. Perhaps that's my issue?

These are fine enlargers, but the drive for the lens board sometimes get worn and slips. Allen is correct in that there are two adjustments for moving the lens board, sometimes called fine and coarse adjustment, though the gearing is the same.
    If the focus is slipping try a slight upwards push on the board while turning. There are 4 (I think) small screws on the back near the focus knob, that can be tightened and this could help stop the slipping, if its' happening. If not, don't mess with them!
    Keith