Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Panoramic Camera

Panoramic Camera

I'm on the lookout for a panoramic camera (6x17) and have found these different models:

Linhof 617

Fuji G617 / GX617

Horseman SW617

Widepan WP617

Fotoman 617

The cheaper ones:

Gaoersi 617

Dayi 617

The one that really caught my attention:

Shen Hao TFC617

Has anyone had any experiense with these cameras? I'm really interested in the bottom three, they're a little bit cheaper. Please feel free to link some pictures taken with the cameras, and what kin of lens and film you're using.

Re: Panoramic Camera

I've been using a Gaoersi 617 for at least 3 years now and I'm very pleased with the results, build quality is good.

Ian

Lachlan 717

I have used the Fuji's and a Fotoman.

I currently own a DaYi and the Shen Hao.

Use the Shen for 90% of the 6x17 stuff I shoot as it is compact, light and I can use any of my lenses from 72mm through to 360mm on it.

The DaYi gets packed when I'm spending time working overseas and don't want the full kit. It's built like a tank, so no need to worry about packing it in Checked luggage. I just remove the lens and GG holder for packing in my carry on.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Which Linhof 617? The current interchageable lens version is the 617 S III. It also takes a shift adapter for 72, 90 and 110mm lenses and now has a darkslide for mid roll lens chages. A ground glass back is also available.
    A Linhof 617 would be pretty old. That was the original version. There were several between that and the S III version.

ARS KC2UU

For example photos check this thread in the Lounge:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=69756

All mine were done with a Fuji G617 that I bought new circa 1994.

The G617 is long discontinued but still available on auction sites. The GX617 is a more versatile camera but still obsolete and of course not as versatile and more costly than current models built in the large format style.

Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

Lachlan 717

Van's thoughts on hand held are what made me hang on to the DaYi... Mightn't be something I'd consider doing often, but it will be a great camera when I do want to!

Even got me thinking about a 72mm nose cone!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I bought my Gaoersi because I often have to work hand-held, there's no way I can do that with a Shen Hao 617 or a 5x4 camera with an extension back.

However I've just restored a British half plate camera and almost finished a 5x4 adaptor for it and then want to add a 6x17 back as well. There are advantages having movements and the idea is that the combination is light weight and flexible. The half plate camera is already significantly lighter than a Wista or Crown Graphic.

Ian

I really interested to know about the difference between a 617 camera and a 617 roll back for 4x5 camera, are both doing the same and have same quality? What's the pros and cons between the two?

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    I have used the Fuji's and a Fotoman.

I currently own a DaYi and the Shen Hao.

Use the Shen for 90% of the 6x17 stuff I shoot as it is compact, light and I can use any of my lenses from 72mm through to 360mm on it.

The DaYi gets packed when I'm spending time working overseas and don't want the full kit. It's built like a tank, so no need to worry about packing it in Checked luggage. I just remove the lens and GG holder for packing in my carry on.
    What kind of lenses are you using on the Shen? Does all largeformat lenses fit on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Van Camper View Post
    Decide what kind of photography you need to do. For handheld, or quick work on a tripod (when don't
    t want a darkcloth)...you can't beat the Goaersi or Fotoman style cameras that come with optical finder and helical focus with depth of field scales (I switched it out to a Sony Tx7 to give me a LCD, which is very precise after you mark off the crop lines on top of stick on LCD screen protectors, if you want more info on attaching, write me). On the other hand, for total control Lachlan knows all about the Shen Hao...a great camera also. It offers tilts, and ability to carry more lenses into the field (no cones consuming space). Both cameras are superb, it's down to personal taste. Fotoman is in business under name Fotoman China...the new website is http://www.fotoman.cc/ .

If you're into close focusing the Shen Hao I imagine is best, and Fotoman 2nd best...allows adding spacers to reduce focus (10mm spacer only $25 and cuts near focus in half, although temporarily you lose infinity with it on).
    I currently have the Pacemaker Speed Graphic with the Aero-Ektar 178/2.5 lens, and I'm thinking of selling that one to buy a pamoramic camera. I don't really like the speed, it allways stays at home (but that could be the weather doing that).
    I'm mainly going to shoot landscapes and nature, but I also wanna shoot portraits and editoral. And I'm going to use a tripod. For the nature and landscapes a panoramic camera would be fantastic, but to the portrait and editoral I rather shoot with a 4x5. Is there a nice 4x5 with the possiblity to shoot 6x17 aswell?

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    I really interested to know about the difference between a 617 camera and a 617 roll back for 4x5 camera, are both doing the same and have same quality? What's the pros and cons between the two?
    I wander through Death Valley and then Moab using a Technorama 617 SIII with a 72mm lens and finder and shoot handheld. Wouldn't want to even think of being able to shoot that freely with a 45 and a 617 back.