Thread: Eugene Delcroix

Eugene Delcroix

I am hoping for some knowledge from any New Orleans based Large format folks (or elsewhere) about Eugene Delcroix and if possible, about this image.

It has been suggested by John Lawrence of the Historic New Orleans Collection who has set me on this trail, that this this image is likely done by Mr. Delcroix as part of his body of work of the New Orleans area which he apparently sold as tourist souvenirs. I found this print years ago in a Springfield, Mo. flea market.

Unlike other examples of his work that I have found on the internet, this one is not signed, only titled, leading me to wonder if perhaps early in his career, he had not yet begun to sign his work. It is from what appears to be a wet plate (irregular borders) glass neg. It is obviously a contact print as the paper is deeply embossed from the plate, a feature which I have found out is a characteristic of his works. There are closeups of the title and NO, so perhaps someone familiar with his work might recognize whether this could have been his writing (or that of any other New Orleans photographers.)

Anything anyone can tell me would be greatly appreciated both about the photographer and the building, which I was informed today is intact and only a block from Jackson Square in New Orleans. My image is titled 'Spanish Arms', but I have found etchings and postcards of it that also refer to 'Spanish Courtyard' and 'the Wishing Gate at the Green Orchid Patio'. The actual address is 616 Royal.

I definitely feel a trip to New Orleans and hopefully the site coming on.

Thanks everyone.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Re: Eugene Delcroix

Very interesting, especially if the titles look like his handwriting!

Just to clarify for everyone, Lenser does not mean Eugene Delacroix (w/ an “a”), the 19C French painter who was very interested in photography, and used it in his work.

True.

Does anyone know of a site that can be used to research writing? I searched under his signature and found some things that are reminiscent of the NO when he titled a print with NO, La. but the ones shown were not clear and far too small to make a real comparison.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Try to get in touch with "A Gallery for Fine Photography" in New Orleans. Joshua or one of his staff might be able to help. They are in the French Quarters. If you feel a road trip take plenty of film.

Bump, just in case anyone else can offer info.

Dear lenser,
    I suggest you investigate all the features of his work, especially the "ratio of illuminance" in all his images. Dean discussed this point with me tonight, and we doubt whether your image belongs to Eugene Delcroix,unfortunately.
    Anyway good luck to you~

Thanks, Hoppin.

As I stated in my OP, I really have no idea who did the image and was told by John Lawrence of the New Orleans Historical Society (far more likely to know than myself) that it might be by Mr. Delcroix. I'm just on a mission to track down what information I can find and I appreciate your contribution.

Of the few Delcroix images I can find on line, all are hand tinted, making it impossible to make a comparison, but some have been of this same subject which must have been a popular one for any photographer and hobbyist in New Orleans of that era.

The only other New Orleans photographer of this era that I have heard of is Bellocq who I understand was a commercial photographer beyond his fame as the author of the wonderful Storeyville portraits of the prostitutes. But, I have read that his entire body of plates of his commercial work is lost, making it hard to identify any unsigned works as attributable to him.

Again, thanks for your contribution.

Tim