Thread: 4x5 Roll film holder?

4x5 Roll film holder?

Saw this film on the bay and plagiarized the photos for curiosity's sake. Never before in my life have I seen a roll of Kodak 4x5. I'd love to see a few pictures of what the RFH for it looks like if any of you guys have one. Although the film is slightly past it's expiration date of 1932, I'd like to have it to put on my vintage show-off shelf. However, at $60 I guess I'll pass.

Re: 4x5 Roll film holder?

During that time there were both box cameras and folders which took this film. Some were really great instruments. If I remember correctly Kodak made a folder with a rangefinder on the base.

Linhof made a 5" (126mm) roll back primarily for aerial photography but also used for copy work that used 50' rolls of film on NATO modified spools. The back was available in vacuum motorized and manual wind versions. 1 frame per second in the motorized version. The motorized one was made until a few years ago. NASA used it on the Space Shuttle program for several years.

if 4x5 came in spools id completely ditch MF.

where'd you get 5" aerial(probably c-41 color) film processed? However, 1fps on 4x5 sounds great for fashion studio work !

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    where'd you get 5" aerial(probably c-41 color) film processed? However, 1fps on 4x5 sounds great for fashion studio work !

-Dan
    Labs that specialized in aerial emulsions, usually in roller transport processors or leader belt processors. Many aerial emulsions were very different from roll or sheet films and required special labs and chemistry.

jadphoto

When I first started doing portraiture professionally, too long ago to mention, we used 5 inch TXP roll film. It came in 50' and/or 100' rolls if I remember correctly. We then processed the stuff on really huge Nikkor reels in Kodak 3 and 1/2 gallon processing tanks. My hands still smell like HC-110!

Do have any idea how old remembering that makes me feel?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Dickerson View Post
    When I first started doing portraiture professionally, too long ago to mention, we used 5 inch TXP roll film. It came in 50' and/or 100' rolls if I remember correctly. We then processed the stuff on really huge Nikkor reels in Kodak 3 and 1/2 gallon processing tanks. My hands still smell like HC-110!

Do have any idea how old remembering that makes me feel?
    In the Air Force we did 5" in Morse stainless steel tanks. A lot of the Cuban missile film was processed this way and printed wet for the PI guys.

I have read some in the past about 5" roll film processing (of very long rolls) for aerial photography, but what interested me with this film was it says on the box it gives you 6 exposures on a "Graflex Roll Holder". Never saw one of those for 4x5, would be interested in seeing one. 6 exposures + framing would about equal a standard roll film length. I suppose in a scaled up version of a Graflex RH-8 6x9 holder? Must be a sight to see hanging on the back of a Speed Graphic!