Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ordering Maxwell screens

Re: Ordering Maxwell screens

I ordered mine a couple years ago and sent the camera to an acquaintance of his... Mr. Folmer??... who received the camera from me and the screen from Bill Maxwell. The latter individual custom-fitted the screen to my Chamonix 4x5. The entire process took about four weeks. No problems with my order. Again though, that was two years ago.

I've been trying to order a screen. After a 1-hour phone chat and follow-up e-mail (at Bills request) nothing, nada, not a word.

I'm sure his screens are superb, but his business practice needs some refinement.

Quote Originally Posted by trog View Post
    I've been trying to order a screen. After a 1-hour phone chat and follow-up e-mail (at Bills request) nothing, nada, not a word.

I'm sure his screens are superb, but his business practice needs some refinement.
    Back when Dick Philips was making cameras, he had no web page and could only be reached by telephone. He took a long time to fulfill an order.

Yet those who own his cameras swear by them.

Similar examples abound in the niche large-format photography market.

Small operators are subject to the distractions of big orders. Maxwell usually does not have much stock on hand.

When I bought my screen from him, I also requested an improved screen for my Canon 5D. He told me he'd see what he had. Nearly a year later (long after receiving the 4x5 screen), he called me and said he had a 5D screen that met my requirements that was every-so-slightly flawed that he could sell me at a reduced price. I have it and use it now. There may be business practices that seem sluggish compared to B&H, but there is also attention to personal needs over time that goes beyond what retailers like B&H can provide.

Have patience. Follow up if necessary after a reasonable time.

Rick "knowing that Maxwell sometimes gets large orders from outside our group about which he cannot talk in detail" Denney

Hello,

I've ordered his screen two weeks ago and I paid by PayPal.
    Soon, I'm moving into a new house and my address will be changed.
    But he doesn't answer my e-mails after July 8.

I know his iPhone number but my english speaking is very poor.
    Can someone please help me?

Thank you.
    young-hoon.

There are only so many hours in a day.

Bill can spend his making screens, or pursuing conversations with potential customers.

Which would you choose?

I'm quite pleased with my Maxwell screen, currently on a Zone VI 4x5. Don't recall how long it took.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

At last, I got a reply!

Thank you.
    young-hoon.

I called and we spoke, I was turned off by his unwillingness to give a direct answer or firm time frame. " Sorry I can not give you any more info, but pay me 580.00 for your screens " What a joke

Following this thread I see that in many cases Bill Maxwell follows the classic method of paying attention when money is to be paid, but then after payment is made he forgets about you and goes back to doing his day to day routine.

Quote Originally Posted by valdormar View Post
    I called and we spoke, I was turned off by his unwillingness to give a direct answer or firm time frame. " Sorry I can not give you any more info, but pay me 580.00 for your screens " What a joke

Following this thread I see that in many cases Bill Maxwell follows the classic method of paying attention when money is to be paid, but then after payment is made he forgets about you and goes back to doing his day to day routine.
    This was not my experience at all. Maxwell shipped the screen to the technician who custom fitted the screen to my camera ensuring precise positioning. The whole process took about four weeks... from my door to the tech and Bill's door to the tech and back to my door. But that was about five years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by valdormar View Post
    ...I see that in many cases Bill Maxwell follows the classic method of paying attention when money is to be paid, but then after payment is made he forgets about you and goes back to doing his day to day routine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    This was not my experience at all...
    Nor mine. And I've ordered quite a few screens from Bill over the years. Yes, one must be prepared for a long phone conversation, but his products were always delivered within the time frames promised. He's also very careful not to over promise.

Being the curious sort, I searched for Maxwell Precision Optics via Bing and within 30 seconds found his Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maxwe...00647716643807

From there I copied this:
    Please email Bill at maxwellprecisionoptics@yahoo.com or phone (770)939-6644
    Thanks

I was surprised to discover Bill is located in Decatur, Georgia which is about 30 minutes from my home.