Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ordering Maxwell screens

Ordering Maxwell screens

Hi! Can somebody share his experience with Bill Maxwell? I've ordered his screen two weeks ago and got nothing since that time... He doesn't answer my e-mails and I can't spend hours talking with him by phone (international calls are very costy for me).
    This is not the service I expected for $500+ per screen... Or it's normal with Bill?

Joshua Tree, California

Re: Ordering Maxwell screens

I sent him a screen to get treated a couple years ago. Never a reply. Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kelsey View Post
    I sent him a screen to get treated a couple years ago. Never a reply. Never again.
    Wow, that makes me feel not comfortable...

I've ordered three screens from him, one a 5x7, one for a Crown Graphic, and one for an SL66. Never had a problem. Each screen is custom made for you, so a two week wait isn't something to be concerned about. If you want me to call him for you, give me the specifics through a private email and I'll update you.

Ed's problem is unusual. I don't know how he let a Contax 645 screen out of his sight permanently, though. I would have pursued the issue with determination until it was resolved, even to the point of getting someone local to go knock at the door of Maxwell Precision Optics.

But Ed's case is not confirmed by the broad experience of many others.

That said, Maxwell has many clients outside of photography and sometimes gets backed up. Have patience. He usually doesn't charge until he ships. When I bought my 4x5 screen from him, I also ordered a screen for my Canon 5D, for the next time he had one that was a bit less than perfect that he could let go for cheap. It was six months later when he called saying he had one available, and he didn't charge me until then.

My 4x5 screen took a little longer than Bill indicated, and partly because of other work. Like many very small shops that are in high demand, the owner maintains his quality level even if it means people have to wait.

How did you order the screen? One presumes that would have required a phone call. When did he promise it?

Rick "thinking international mail can sometimes take weeks, too" Denney

I ordered one for a Canham 4x5 DLC (since sold here) and had no problems. Excellent product.

Actually i paid by PayPal and don't like the idea to open dispute in 40 days. Bill didn't tell that such delays are possible and replied every email very quickly while advertising his screens - situation dramatically changed when payment got thru. At least he could tell that "everything going fine, just be patient..."

I talked to him and sent you a private message. He says it will ship in the next two days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    I talked to him and sent you a private message. He says it will ship in the next two days.
    Thank you, Kevin!

Wow, I can't even get him to reply to my emails. Much less order something. Since he's a three hour time difference away by the time I get home when I could call him it would be around midnight his time so I resisted the urge to call him since I imagine that he sleeps.......