Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weird Coverage with Wollensak 159mm Velostigmat ?

Re: Coverage Wollensak 159mm Velostigmat ?

Jan,

Thanks, I measured mine as accurate as I could with a vernier calliper, it is indeed 33.85mm, but 2 glass plates beneath and below to check if the lens is out of parallel, as far as I can see with that crude method: no.

I indeed stopped down to f45 and oddly did not see even the "sharp" part in the middle getting more Dof, although that is hard to judge a f42..defenatly the rest of the image did not get sharp..I do not understand..

Ps the 2 scans of the element look OK?

Thanks & best,

Cor

Thanks for the links, eddie..no mentioning of my problem though..the lens looks very nice but perhaps some of the groups/elements are out of place..

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    Thanks for the links, eddie..no mentioning of my problem though..the lens looks very nice but perhaps some of the groups/elements are out of place..
    One thing to consider is that Wollensaks generally were inexpensive lenses and I doubt that their quality control was all that great. You may just have a lemon.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Are you sure that you have that particular lens? I didn't notice any printing on yours, so I uploaded an image of mine.

A Betax #3 is a large shutter for such a tiny lens. I'd be surprised if any 159 Wolly WAs came this way from the factory. Perhaps during the mounting somethingwasn't done quite right?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

The 1957 Wollensak catalog says that the lens came in a #4 barrel or a #3 Rapax or Alphax. And, the lens arrangement was (( (( )) )).

Here's the construction of the various Wolly lenses.

Well, try again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wollylens.jpg  

Cor:

I have this lens mounted in a barrel, and a separate Betax 3. Measuring both, I note the barrel to be much shorter than the shutter. This really proves nothing, as my shutter was meant for another lens. I was just wondered about cell spacing, as too much distance might make it look like you're shooting through a tunnel. Hope this isn't a red herring.

On Brian Miller's shutter, and apparently yours, there's a chrome ring around the lens, with a single hole through it. This seems to be a lock ring for the front cell. The shutter has a central mount, which is threaded internally and externally. My best guess is that during assembly, the front cell is screwed into the middle the proper distance, then the chrome ring is unscrewed up behind the cell to lock it in place.

RE: that grey rim - I suspect it's easier to make a bigger lens than a small one, so Wolly made a bigger lens but only wanted you to use the sharper center, and thus mechanically vignetted it. If you were Jim Galli, you'd get rid of the rim and shoot the thing like an f/4 Verito.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    i was not trying to correct the problem. you asked about coverage.

your broken miss-matched shutter/lens issue is a different thing.

what is the problem again? maybe i am just not following.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery