Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why no new fast,soft focus , portrait lens?

Why no new fast,soft focus , portrait lens?

There is currently such a high demand on vintage portrait lens, such as petzval, vitax , verito ...etc.

Can anyone give me a reason, why there are no lens manufacturer make new one for us? I mean there are no hidden formula , no high cost ASPH lens, or even you can leave it uncoated and ask for $1000ish, isn't a good business?

I am puzzled.

Re: Why no new fast,soft focus , portrait lens?

Cooke Portrait PS945 Lens 229mm, f/4.5 for 4x5 Large Format Photography

http://www.cookeoptics.com/cooke.nsf...rgeformat.html

"High demand" is relative. Manufacturing just about anything for a profit requires you make enough to recover for tooling and R&D. How many LF shooters worldwide would buy them? 10, 100? That's pretty small numbers to start up even a small batch of hand made lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    "High demand" is relative. Manufacturing just about anything for a profit requires you make enough to recover for tooling and R&D. How many LF shooters worldwide would buy them? 10, 100? That's pretty small numbers to start up even a small batch of hand made lenses.
    Yes, I even expect that in the next couple years we'll start seeing the lines of modern LF lenses from Rodenstock and Schneider shrink to maybe just a few offerings each.

I have a 150mm SS XL, I bought used here on this forum. How many of these are sold new a year? I would guess in the hundreds at best. Eventually it will not make sense for Schneider to make another production run of such lenses. Like the 210 SS XL. I would be really surprised if 100 of those sold new each year these days.

koppie, why don't you take the risk yourself? Find a merchant lens maker -- Elcan, Rodenstock Schneider, Zeiss, maybe Edmund Optics -- that will make lenses to the prescription in the soft-focus lens of your choice, buy a batch, and sell them? Take the prescription from a patent, send out requests for quotations, and see what happens.

If you're not willing to do that, don't try to badger other people into taking the risk for you.

A big reason why the old ones sell for so much is because they're old. People want to feel like they own history.

"If I buy this old lens that might have taken a great photo at one point, maybe I'll take a great photo as well"

or

"That lens looks really cool. My camera/studio/Mac will look great with that on it"

or

"Hey, that's the missing one from my collection"

In fact only a fraction of anything 'antique' is ever sold to a user. I bet on a vast majority of people buy for the collectible value or aesthetics rather than actual use. If a manufacturer made a new lens it wouldn't appeal as an antique lens with a history in the patina.

multiplex

koppie

they are easy to make ...
    get a copy of primitive photography

It is just not feasible to make a modern copy of a classic "soft" lens at a price that is below current market rates for the real article. It is only possible if someone ( a person - not an organisation) with both the skills and equipment for brass turning and lens grinding/polishing and is prepared to work for almost nothing. This is even true of comparitively simple "flawed" achromat lenses. The Cooke PS lens is an exception but my sense of logic tells me that this is more an exercise is cultivating the Cooke image rather than a sensible economically viable venture. They have real income/profit from other segments!

When ( or if ever?) reproduction does make economic sense - forgeries of the real articles will start to appear. I don't recall that I have ever heard of a modern forgery?

Just stick an 85/1.2 or 85/1.4 from Canon, Zeiss, Leica, Contax, Nikon, etc. ~ or a Lens Baby ~ and you get everything a practical portrait photographer would want from a DSLR.... so the only people left using old Brassies on box cameras are the impractical ones.

I'd love to build some, but I don't have the time or equipment to do it. Buy out my nonphotography business that provided the means for me enjoy LF, let me be a playboy/mad scientist and it might happen.

Unfortunately, lots of people don't mind spending $2000+ on a lens. Look at all the pro zoom lenses Nikon and Canon sell. When you can get a used lens for $500-1000, it's a comparitively good deal. A business making new SF lenses would ideally (for the business) sell that a price comparable to non-rare but popular soft focus lenses or slightly more because it's NEW. As far as major companies making lenses in low volume, there isn't that much changed in LF that a new lens would have a serious advantage over a 20+ year old used one at substantial discount.