Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elwood Enlarger

Re: Elwood Enlarger

I have one of the Elwood 5x7 enlargers, but have not yet used it. It needs a bulb - can anyone suggest which would be appropriate?
    Thanks,
    juan

I just built a new floor stand and easel table for my 8x10 Elwood and no longer have to lay on the floor to print. I also switched from using multigrade contrast filters below the lens to taping Roscoe filters (per Howard Bond) to the top of the neg carrier, a big improvement!

I have a B&J solar in 5x7 which is about the same as an elwood maybe a little less beefy. I have a source for bulbs of the 300W variety that have approximately the right neck length to give proper diffusion without a hotspot(I have the original glass diffuser also). The bulbs are carried by Ace Hardware and as far as I can tell are generic with no identifiying numbers etc. If you have trouble locating them let me know and I'll try to find out more.
    The only advantage I can see to using a cold lite would be faster printing times. I made a new diffuser to replace the "milk glass" one that is sandwiched with the heat shield. I made it out of opaque(milk colored) pexiglass that actually gives me about a 1 stop increase in light output, as the pexiglass is thinner.

I wish I had the diffuser disc for my 8x10 Elwood. I currently use an 11x11 sheet of ground glass. It works but I've heard a lot of very nice things about that diffuser.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John,
    I wish I had one too, mine has a 14" diameter set of condensors, only belittled by the set in my horizontal DeVere. Once I move and get settled in, the elwood 8x10 is high on the list, I also have a little 5x7 elwood that I was given recently, though the illumination is far from equal, even after adjusting the lamp housing to the correct position.

erie

I wish I had an Elwood enlarger or any 5x7 or 8x10 enlarger. I just won't be seeing one I guess.

Tyrner Reich

They're out there, you just have to keep looking. Often times they can be had for the taking----but it is getting the darn things home that takes a strong back and a weak mind
    My preference is for contacts, but every once an awhile there will be an 8x10 negative that shouts to be blown up.
    Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    I have one of the Elwood 5x7 enlargers, but have not yet used it. It needs a bulb - can anyone suggest which would be appropriate?
    Thanks,
    juan
    I just recently bought a 250 watt GE opal bulb from B&H for my 8x10 elwood, it's bright enough for 16x20 prints. You might try a 150 watt opal bulb for the 5x7. I have a 1940s Elwood catalog and would be happy to send scans to anyone using or restoring these great old beasts.

John, I think that a PH 212 may work for you. It is a 150 watt lamp that some have used on the Durst 138. I converted mine to a 1000 watt lamp when the opal lamps were no longer produced.

http://www.bulbman.com/index.php?mai...ducts_id=14235

Don,

that bulb is not big enough for the Elwood 5x7 or 8x10 enlargers. The neck on the bulb is not long enough to get the lamp ball into the sweet spot of the light housing. I am of the opinion that the PH 212 will create a hot spot if not in the right spot. There was a 300 watt bulb and a 500 watt bulb for that enlarger

lee\c