Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Velostigmat Rehab

Velostigmat Rehab

Well, I've wanted a Wollensak Velostigmat with adjustable soft focus for some time, and I just picked up one that needs cleaning and comes in a shutter housing without shutter and aperture blades. It looks like it was an old betax #4 shutter.

So, I have two other velostigmats, an 8 1/4" series II and a 12" series IV, both in betax #4 shutters. I figured this "new" one would fit in that shutter. I still believe it does, and the rear lens piece actually screws right in. The front piece, however, is larger, and the old non-functional shutter housing has what seems to be a larger fitting for the wider diameter front lens housing.

Is it possible to switch this fitting with one of the smaller ones on the other betax #4's? It looks like it would fit in theory, problem is I can't seem to get the fitting from either shutter off with plain old hand force. Do these come off and should I look for a way to carefully apply more pressure/force?

Here are some photos:

http://www.davidaimone.com/velostigmat

Also, the metal is quite dirty. What's the best way to clean? The front lens element makes an awful squeaking noise when loosened or tightened.

David
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Re: Velostigmat Rehab

you need to get the adapter ring off the shutter. he shutter is standard. the adapter ring fits all the shutters and only certain specific lenses.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

eddie, so the adapter ring for say the 8 1/4" series two has to come off the "good" shutter, replaced by the adapter ring for the 9 1/2" off the bad shutter?

If so, any secrets to getting them off without doing damage to the adapter ring or good shutter?
    David Aimone Photography

Yeah, it'll come off. Get a piece of old inner tube and make a couple of 'grips'. It should break loose with some torque.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

If the adapter extends from the shutter, a piece of gaffers tape taped to a flat surface with the adhesive out works well, or a clean sheet of rubber. Just press down and twist. If that doesn't do it, you could use a drop or two of a penetrant like PB Blaster. I am not a fan of it, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I had a Zeiss lens that had a stuck retaining ring and Zeiss wouldn't touch it due to "lack of available parts". I used the PB Blaster and it came out. Easy does it though. It is penetrating which means it goes everywhere. It is best to use a pin to apply a tiny bit at a time.

Good luck! That looks like an awesome lens. I am jealous!

Thanks, Everyone.

I'll give it a try without penetrant first, and then with if I have to. I'll let you know how it comes out.

So, CLEANING the metal--what's the best way to do that?
    David Aimone Photography

Question Re: Velostigmat Rehab

Ok, so I've run into a bit of a snag here and advice from more experienced professionals is necessary.

I was able to remove the step-down adapter for the front element from my 8.25" series two on it's Aphex #4 shutter (haven't been able yet to remove from my 12" series IV on Aphex 4 though). The front lens of the 9.5" series two DOES fit right into the shutter now with no adapter. The problem is, it only fits if you take the rear element off the front lens. The lens itself protrudes far enough backward that it touches the shutter mechanism and won't begin to thread. Interestingly, if I take that rear element out (of the front lens piece) but install it's retaining ring (or not), it will fit onto the shutter. But when the element is installed, the tapered lens element protrudes just far enough past the end of that tapered retaining ring to keep the lens from threading.

This leads me to wonder if this lens is actually in it's original configuration, or if it's been altered. Or if it needs a different shutter. It obviously fit into the "empty" Aphex #4 because there was no internal mechanism to get in the way.

Also on a different but related subject, I read the thread on the "modification" to allow the soft focus control to go beyond 5. Interestingly, I haven't taken the front plate off yet, but the limiting screw must have been already removed because the front element can already be unscrewed past five and taken all the way off.

The tapered section you can see on the back of the rear element on the right side of this photo:
    David Aimone Photography

bump... Anyone...any suggestions?

What might I try next? Thanks!
    David Aimone Photography

Might try a betax no. 4 shutter?

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: www.jonshiu.com

That might be worth a try but I don't have one available to try...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Might try a betax no. 4 shutter?

Jon
    David Aimone Photography