Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vuescan Raw files: DNG or TIFF

Vuescan Raw files: DNG or TIFF

I am considering getting Vuescan to use with Epson 4990 and Coolscan 5000.

I see there is a format they call "RAW" which can be saved as a DNG and a TIFF.

Since ACR can open both, is there any difference between the two? They are they are about the same size, 170MB for a 35mm scan at 4000dpi, 64bit RGBI (which includes the 16bit infrared channel that I understand only Vuescan can decipher).

Re: Vuescan Raw files: DNG or TIFF

As I understand it, Vuescan can save as the DNG (Their "raw") and then re-scan it later using different curves, adjustments, etc. It kind of open in Adobe Camera Raw, but it's all messed up and doesn't really work well as it's not a true "raw" file in the same sense as a DSLR raw file is.

So, I just scan in TIFF and set my curve at .25 and .75, and do the advanced workflow (from the vuescan manual) so that I'm scanning down to the base+fog(+base color if color neg), and I set the white balance. This gives me a pretty neutral scan that cleans up nicely in Photoshop with levels and curves, and I save as a PSD with layers and I have a good base to make JPEGs from.

So, in my opinion, Photoshop is much easier to use than Vuescan to do after-scan adjustments.... if you are a Vuescan expert and/or don't have Photoshop, and you feel like you want multiple interpretations of a single scan without having to re-scan, then perhaps Vuescan RAWs are a good fit. For me, I would just re-scan, but what do I know

Good luck.

I open Vuescan Slide Film DNG files all the time in Photoshop and they appear to work the same as DSLR raw files. The problem is when you scan negative film- then the RAW files are reversed and Photoshop (and other tools) don't really know how to deal with them properly.

domaz, have you seen any difference between Vuescan's (i) raw TIFF files and (ii) raw DNG files?

Since they both can be opened by Lightroom, ACR or Vuescan itself for later editing, I was wondering whether there was any documented difference between them.

I like the idea of scanning a slide once and then editing it later. I found Nicon Scan daunting in that I have to make so many decisions up front (not to mention that it doesn't support 64 bit Windows, although there are work-arounds). I found Silverlight confusing, and expensive. Vuescan seems just right, but I want to make sure I am using the more flexible raw file format.

One issue I had with redeveloping TIFFs and DNGs with Vuescan is that the color settings didn't seem to work as well as on the initial scan.

I will have to try it with negatives as well before I buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    domaz, have you seen any difference between Vuescan's (i) raw TIFF files and (ii) raw DNG files?
    Well technically the output between the two files is probably the same. However, when you open a raw TIFF in a photo editing software I don't think it "knows" it's raw- you just get a file with no curve applied. When I open a raw DNG file in Photoshop it brings up the nice RAW editing adjustment tool. If you don't want to use the RAW editing adjustment tools and instead do everything manually then I don't know if it woudl matter.

I like the idea of scanning a slide once and then editing it later. I found Nicon Scan daunting in that I have to make so many decisions up front (not to mention that it doesn't support 64 bit Windows, although there are work-arounds). I found Silverlight confusing, and expensive. Vuescan seems just right, but I want to make sure I am using the more flexible raw file format.

One issue I had with redeveloping TIFFs and DNGs with Vuescan is that the color settings didn't seem to work as well as on the initial scan.

I will have to try it with negatives as well before I buy it.
    The color on the subsequent scans has never been a problem for me. However, it is probably best to do the Lock exposure workflow on the initial raw scan. That will ensure your exposure is consistent and correct.

I assume that only Vuescan can interpret the extra Infrared information in a 64-bit RGBI file, whether it's DNG or TIFF, right?

Well I figured out how to get the IR data as a separate channel out of Vuescan. It can be done either at the initial scan phase, but producing two files (one 48bit RGB file and one 16bit infrared file), or, more conveniently, but re-processing the 64bit RGBI file in Vuescan and extracting the IR channel into a separate 16bit file. Doesn't do me much good because my Photoshop skills are not such that I would know how to combine the two files into one file. So I am stuck having to do much post-processing in Vuescan if I want to do IR spot removal.

It is remarkable to see just how accurate the Coolscan 5000 IR channel is. The color and the IR channels match up perfectly, pixel for pixel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    I assume that only Vuescan can interpret the extra Infrared information in a 64-bit RGBI file, whether it's DNG or TIFF, right?
    You can output a raw film with the file already Infrared cleaned by using the Raw Save film option.

This is a great thread; I think I'm going to monkey around with Vuescan's DNG a bit more.... Thanks guys