Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Picked this camera in Japan. Any info?

Re: Picked this camera in Japan. Any info?

This sounds like a reasonable explantion. A similar scenario took place in the UK and Europe. Many of the well-known English cameras of the 1880's 1890's bear an uncanny resemblance to each other - including some that are known not to have made their wood cameras. The German/French tailboards are also very similar - with lots of no-name or shop seller names amongst them.

I haven't seen any very early lister of metal parts - but I have one from 1927. This shows parts available for the typical European Tailback (for sizes 13x18 and 18x24cm). There was a considerable reduction for complete sets.

These parts are no longer available from the supplier

camera is for sale on e**y

I have a very similair camera, whole plate. I also have the film sheaths which go into the book form glass plate holders. I use it for wet plate work, works great.

I was wondering about the placement of the film sheaths. If I measure correctly the ground glass and the glass surface of a glass plate in a holder are at the same distance (from the lens), confirmed by sharp WPC images.

But if one would load a film in a film sheath, the "fold" around the three edges offsets the film plane a bit away from the lens, so I guess some kind of spacer is needed between the ground glass and the camera?

Best,

Cor

Perhaps not - depending on the design of the holder. Most plate holders have a single or double spring which pushes the sheath forward to approximately the front glass surface position (emulsion). The sheath edge folds may exclude a complete match of positions and "packing pieces" will not work. Adjustment is possible at the ground glass mounting, though. This means spacers as you mention.

Probably not. The 1951 ASA film slot diminsions in film holders was a minimum of .012 inches, while typical film is maybe .007 inches, leaving at least .005" free play. It seems all to easy for this idiot to insert two sheets of fim into those slots. The metal in my Kodak 5x7 film sheaths measure less than .009" thick. A shift of .009" with a point image focused through a lens at f/22 means the circle of confusion increases to .0004". Film, lens, and focusing limitations mask such an error in much photography. We live with about half of that error in ordinary film holders.

Another 1/2 Plate Camera from Japan Any idea on age or year built? This thread explains there were many makers using the same hardware. No badges.

Sale price and shipping now is almost the same

Holders are on the way. This one has a welded 1/4-20 tripod spider.

4 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

2 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

3 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

1 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

I have a similar looking 4x5 Japanese camera. I like the theory of carpentry shops buying standard metal parts; mine look just like the one pictured. The closest I have come to a brand for mine is a Hasemi camera photo online, totally similar. Mine is super light and simple. No front swing or shift. I replaced the bellows (required gluing), and really like it for hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    A full plate camera. There has been some discussion earlier as to whether the Japanese "yatsugiri" = eighth(-cut) or octavo (6x8, our 6.5x8.5) is exactly the same as the US/UK plate size. Is there no marking on the back of the film sheath in one (or more) of the plate holders?
    The lens is a very well known single coated version with a seiko shutter. Coverage is 80 degrees but with fall off.
    While back purchased a camera very similar to the OP. Was described as a whole plate camera. No holders included. When it arrived, the back measured 6x8" so obviously smaller that the standard whole plate size. Best I could tell was that it as made in India, but that was an educated guess. Fortunately was able to return the camera.

I also have a Hasemi 4x5 and it looks very similar. The woods look the same (Japanese cherry) and the hardware is very close. They are great cameras and not a lot of information around about them.
    Very underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedium View Post
    I also have a Hasemi 4x5 and it looks very similar. The woods look the same (Japanese cherry) and the hardware is very close. They are great cameras and not a lot of information around about them.
    Very underrated.
    I use a Fujinon 150mm f/5.6 on mine. I think the lens board is non-standard, which has kept me to a single lens, probably a good thing.

What lens(es) do you use?

Reed