Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picked this camera in Japan. Any info?

Picked this camera in Japan. Any info?

I bought this camera at a small photography store in Tokyo. I can seem to find any information on it though. Can anyone lead me to information on it? I haven't performed and light leak tests on it or tried to use it. I don't have the time or resources to use it so I am also wondering how much something like this would sell for. Thanks for any input.

Here is a link with photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timmora...7625838006335/

Photograsaurus Rex

Re: Picked this camera in Japan. Any info?

Nice find whatever it is, hope the price was right.

tmorales, it's quite similar to the Vageeswari 10x12" camera I have somewhere waiting repair... The design is of a type similar for Indian cameras. What's the size of yours? You can measure the groundglass dimensions... From the lens attached, one would assume it's a 4x5" (150mm being a kind of standard lens for this size).

The holders you have are for glass plates, but they could be adapted (with a spacer) to accept film, too... The camera back will not accept standard 4x5" holders, though...

Hope this helps

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

Looks like a typical well-made japanese camera which has been used quite a long time!
    The original base - for three tripod legs - has had an adaptor fitted for modern tripod screws (3/8 or 1/4"). Originally made for glass plates. I think I can see a film sheath with Fuji Photo - who made these conversion film sheaths. The size is often printed on the back - in cm. or plate size or??
    There are a number of owners of similar cameras (Japan and India) here who may be able to put a name on it - if there isn't one already, well concealed.
    No valuation from me. These cameras do appear on e**y. Prices have been quite close to the European/American equivalent. They are quite readily available in Japan so there is no special demand from there.
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 2-Feb-2011 at 16:52.

I just stumbled upon Asanuma Shokai field cameras. Any relation to the Vageeswari cameras?

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Asanuma_Sh%C5%8Dkai

Has a lot of similarities to the Asanuma half plate I'm fixing up...

This indeed looks like Scott's Asanuma (under renovation!).
    So probably 1/2 plate. The lens will date when it was last taken into use.
    Could provide value data for Scott? Bottom piece of the original back size and profile and design of the book holders?

some dimensions on this camera:

entire ground glass: 7 1/8" x 8 1/2"

ground glass corner markers: 4 3/4" x 7 1/2"

entire camera closed up: 10 1/4" x 2 3/4" x 10 1/4"

A full plate camera. There has been some discussion earlier as to whether the Japanese "yatsugiri" = eighth(-cut) or octavo (6x8, our 6.5x8.5) is exactly the same as the US/UK plate size. Is there no marking on the back of the film sheath in one (or more) of the plate holders?
    The lens is a very well known single coated version with a seiko shutter. Coverage is 80 degrees but with fall off.
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 3-Feb-2011 at 02:07. Reason: lens data

There are a number of different "brands" Japanese half-plate and full-plate folding field cameras. Many that I have seen pictured do not have brand labels, but some are branded, such as Anasuma, Chartan, Tachihara, Tanakaichi and Okuhara. I have an Okuhara 1/2 plate; if you search for "Okuhara" in this site, you will find the pictures I have posted. The Chartan is pictured in an Eastman House book (Century of Cameras, IIRC).

These cameras are all fairly similar and use book-form holders. My theory (unproven) is that there were a number of small shops, more carpenters than anything, who were able to purchase the metal hardware from a central suplier and who fabricated the cameras using their own wood and these metal parts. Some made enough to also buy metal label plates (such as Okuhara), which are in English.

Bob