Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Wilderness 8x10

Celticexplorer

Exclamation Re: My New Wilderness 8x10

Hi..I am sorry for not getting back to you sooner as I said that I would, I have been on another shoot.Today I managed for the first time to shoot with the Wilderness 8x10. I have been putting it through it's paces at home getting myself used to collapsing and building it. So here is my verdict for what it's worth.

In it's collapsed state the camera feels easy and reasonably light to handle.I attached a Manfrotto quick release plate so I can pop it on and off my tripod with ease. Once secure on the pod it really only requires 3 movements to build the camera.The belt that holds the camera in it's closed position is popped open. You then remove the GG protector and easily pull the rear standard into position where it clicks when it finds it spot. The knobs at the rear of the standard are great in that they are large , metal and one locks by turning anti-clockwise and the other clockwise, this locking movement feels very natural. Some sort of small washer between the knob and the standard means that very little effort is required to lock the knobs tight.When locked off the rear standard is pretty solid..as solid as one would need. At this point the front standard which is lying flat can be pulled out along it's track and lifted up into position. Again it gets locked off easily at the foot of the standard. The front standard 'tilt' also clicks into position. You then mount your lens on it's Sinar panel. The camera is focused by using
    a single knob on the rear bed of the camera, this is not unlike the Phillips Compact, this is also simple and sure in it's movement. So the pros and cons.

Pros
    The camera is very light, especially as it's totally metal.It seems that every part of the camera that is not needed has been cut away or drilled out to save weight.
    It seems well engineered and is very strong in the same way that a Harley Davidson is.
    It is very quick and easy to build and collapse.
    Focusing is simple.
    It comes with a handy ground glass cover

Cons

The texture of the ground glass is a little too coarse..I will replace that.
    Front standard focusing..I know that some of you may not like that.
    Don't expect any packaging or boxes..it didn't come with any...I have no idea who makes the camera.

I think that this is a good camera and I like it very much ( so far). It has been refined down to the bare essentials of what you might need from an 8x10.

Celticexplorer

Re: My New Wilderness 8x10

...Hi Mat..no ..I wasn't asked for any extra tax..I am in the UK

Hi celtic explorer,

maybe you could post some photos of your camera? I think this a very interesting lightweight 8x10. It would be interesting to see how it compares to the Chamonix model. I wonder why there is so little information about it and it's manufacturer. Maybe the camera is known under a different name in china, and there is some information on the forums there(which could be translated by goggle translator).

Greetings,
    pjotr

Here's a long thread i found about it: http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.ph...1&pagenumber=3

if you can read chinese...

pjotr

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

looks like a winner, have been looking for a field camera, and have been thinking that although the metal cameras are aesthetically challenged, they wont smash in a puff of wind.
    so the idea has won me over but...a toyo @5k has knocked me over, and i cant seem to get back up.

so that looks affordable and about half the weight of a toyo

so am looking forward to hearing about your shoot.

how did it stack up?
    through a glass darkly...

Quote Originally Posted by pjotr View Post
    Here's a long thread i found about it: http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.ph...1&pagenumber=3

if you can read chinese...

pjotr
    I was going through that thread and stumbled upon this photo:

What is that thing??

you mean the camera?

its a hasselblad xpan.

p

I'm very interested in this camera. The usable lens list on the BH site leaves many lenses out. Is there a more complete review coming?
    Mike Stacey

www.mikestacey.com

Dave Karp

Looks like an interesting camera. I like how the front standard folds down, but you still get the advantage of the Phillips design. Now all someone has to do is separate the front shift from the swing.

Seems like you could get closer than 155mm on the short end.

Looks like something I'd love in the 5x7 version