Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Filters... Heliopan v. B+W... which is better?

Question Filters... Heliopan v. B+W... which is better?

I have limited experience with filters, most such work being with Hasselblad and the Hasselblad filters.

Which brand (in the title or others) would you consider best from an overall quality standpoint?

This is in the context of black & white contrast manipulation. I don't shoot color.

TIA

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh; 1-Feb-2011 at 10:50. Reason: realized the B&W abbreviation for black & white could be confused with the B&W brand

Eric Woodbury

Re: Filters... Heliopan v. B&W... which is better?

I like 4x4 polyester and gels. Fit everything, cheaper, work better with wide angle lenses. Lee filter makes a universal holder.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Re: Filters... Heliopan v. B&W... which is better?

Heliopan SH-PMC coatings reduce reflections to below 0.2% and repel dust and moisture. Heliopan uses thin brass, black anodized rings with front threads on their UV and B&W and warming and cooling filters. Their polarizers are the most neutral in the industry and are available with or without front threads. Their new HT Cir Pol passes 25% more light then a regular circular polarizer with the same effect. Their continuously variable ND filter goes from 0.3 to 1.8 density with no color shifts.

Now compare this to any other filters. Make sure to check how well it combats reflections.

Re: Filters... Heliopan v. B+W... which is better?

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Something to chew on:
    Hi Oren,

Thanks for that link (although I don't pay for filters in Polish złoty).

I'm surprised and somewhat disappointed by the performance of the Heliopan filters. I had expected better from them.

Bob, you might want to review those test results, particularly as regards flare.

- Leigh

Hmmmm. Heliopan didn't do so well in the lenstip tests that Oren linked to. From the summary:

"We were very disappointed with the Heliopan products. The German filters are not only very expensive, but they also presented very mediocre optical parameters."

Thoughts?

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Hmmmm. Heliopan didn't do so well in the lenstip tests that Oren linked to. From the summary:

"We were very disappointed with the Heliopan products. The German filters are not only very expensive, but they also presented very mediocre optical parameters."

Thoughts?

--Darin
    Maybe you want to try the Foto Magazin test from Sept. 01 which went head to head with:
    heliopan
    B+W
    Leica
    Minolta
    Hoya Pro 1
    Hama Wide
    Nikon
    Canon
    Rodenstock
    Contax
    Tiffen
    Hama Silver
    Rowi
    Soligor
    Doerr
    Cokin
    Pentax

This one. among other criteria, compared resolution with and without on the same test subject.

I've used those two brands of filters as well as Tiffien, Hoya, and probably others I don't now remember. To tell you the truth I can't say I've ever noticed that the filter brand makes any noticeable difference. But I usually buy B+W filters on the theory that even if they're no better than any others they're probably no worse either. And many of my B+W filters do have a nice, solid feel that I don't find in Tiffen and Hoya.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Useful data. I'd temper them with knowledge that only B+W and Heliopan (I think) use brass for their filter rings. Just one filter galled to an aluminum lens' threads might be enough to convince you the higher price of B+W was worth it.

Thumbs up Re: Filters... Heliopan v. B+W... which is better?

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ... only B+W and Heliopan (I think) use brass for their filter rings.
    The product listings on the B&H website way that they both use brass rings and Schott glass.

- Leigh