Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graflex 4" x 5" cameras as field cameras

Graflex 4" x 5" cameras as field cameras

I currently own a rather heavy LF camera and am looking to purchase a more light weight LF camera for field work. I understand some of the Graflex cameras take 4 " x 5" film. Can anyone suggest a specific model suitable for field work (i.e. w ith front tilt)? Thanks.

Check here for info on Graphics. If memory serves me right, the Super Graphics had the most front movements which should see you through for most landscape applications. DJ

OK, something got messed up there. Let's try that again. Check here . I think the Super Graphics offered the best front movements. DJ

I give up. Check www.graflex.org. Look at Super Graphics. I'm going into hiding. DJ

Try looking for a Crown graphic. Or alternativly get either an MPP micropress (apparently it takes graphic boards) or a microtechnical camera, go for a Mk7 or Mk8 to have the international back. For more details go to www.mppusers.freeuk.com

I believe the Super Graphic is the only model with front tilt - I think 15 degrees plus another 15 with the bed dropped. The Graflex.org site should have more on this. The other models like the Crown can get front tilt by combining back tilt and bed drop, but I would guess it's less than the Super. The Super also has 25 Degree swing (as I recall) and a rotating a graflock back. As such it gets a little higher price than the other models - probably $300-450 on ebay. Mine weights in at 5.75 lbs. with lens and seems to be build like a tank. I've been happy with mine but am an amateur without much to compare it to. If I were doing it over again I would at least consider an ultralight monorail.

"The other models like the Crown can get front tilt by combining back tilt and bed drop"

It has been decades since I used one but I don't remember tilts on the camera's back.

Sorry if I mistated that. I meant to say that by dropping the bed and tilting the lens standard back to the degree you want the standard tilted forward, but not all the way, you can effectively have the lens tilt forward. Hope that makes sense.

The problem with getting front tilt this way is that you can only use longer lenses. I think even a 135 is too short, because when you drop the bed the whole assembly moves forward. It makes much more sense to reverse the front standard so you get easy front tilt. It is not difficult to make this modification - all you need is jeweler's screwdriver. I could never understand why those cameras came with upward tilt.

Greg I can really recommend an MPP, I've got the Mark 8 body type c and it is wonderfull to use. I had a Speed Graphic years ago and it to was a good camera. Whatever you choose, get the best camera and enlarger lens you can afford.