Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transporting 8X10 gear

Transporting 8X10 gear

Before I waste $80 on yet another of my many mistakes, any thoughts on using a hand-truck to transport my 8X10 gear (camera case, tripod, and film holder case) when I go off on an easy hiking trail, around old downtowns, etc?

Amazon has this for $79 shipped. It is lighter (nylon) than the steel tube models, cheaper than the aluminum models, and has 10" inflatable tires.

Re: Transporting 8X10 gear

Not a good idea for off pavement---these are way too tippy when fully loaded..
    I have an army surplus 5 gallon jerry can "cooler" bag. It will hold a 'dorff V8, 3 film holders, focusing cloth, two lensboards with lenses attached, meter, loupe, lens cleaning kit and filters wallet. It has a sling to carry over the (artheritic) shoulder leaving the other shoulder free for tripod duty. I think it cost about $17.

Ralph Barker recommends a baby jogger cart thingy.
    Man, would that would be "uptown deluxe" transportation or what?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Baby jogging stroller. Works for me.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

A hand cart is not very good. IT will tire you out, is not very stable, difficult on stairs, generally awkward. Depending on how the weight of your gear is distributed, the "hitch weight" on your arms could be pretty heavy. Also, you have no place to store any loose items and the packing options are not very versatile.

I have tried numerous options in addition to the usual backpacks and carry cases. I tried a hand cart similar to the ones you listed. I tried a baby car seat carrier with caster wheels on which I could lash down camera bags, sort of like a table on wheels. But the best thing is a baby jogging stroller.

I bought an In-Step jogging stroller. It is relatively inexpensive as these things go. The build quality is pretty good. The inflatable tires are so easy to push. A fixed front wheel is better than a pivoting wheel (contrary to my initial impression). It hauls loads of gear and offers some weather protection. It is easy to carry along a small lunch cooler and water also.

It is not good for ice, snow, sand, or mud but what is? Also, you have to improvise to find the best way to carry your gear. My favorite setup for camera gear is an f64 view camera case like this:

It fits in the seat securely and is easy to work from without removing it from the stroller. Attaching a tripod is a work in progress for me but I manage. I should mention that baby strollers are permitted on airplanes so they are great to take along traveling. You should be careful about the size of your rental car (or vehicle in general) because the strollers can be somewhat awkward to store even when folded. Mine is much more compact with the front wheel removed. Good luck.

Jerold, have you used your setup off the sidewalks and paved roadways and onto the rocky trails?

My camera is large and heavy as far as 8X10's go, and old Folmer & Schwing. Right now I have it in one of those medium size suite cases with the small wheels that you see people pulling through airports. It fits perfectly in it and my two lenses are wrapped and inside the camera. Dark cloth, exposure meter, lupe, etc are in the outer zippered pockets. The film holders (9) are in their own separate case. All that is left is the tripod - an old surveyors tripod with a Majestic head.

Camera and lenses in case - 35 lbs
    Film holders in case - 15 lbs
    Tripod - 15 lbs

Will the jogging stroller carry my weight and do it in the gravel and rocks? I'm not going to drag this stuff up the side of a mountain but would like to take it for easy hikes on our local unpaved nature trails.
    Will the jogging stroller handle the weight of my gear?

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Jerold, have you used your setup off the sidewalks and paved roadways and onto the rocky trails?

My camera is large and heavy as far as 8X10's go, and old Folmer & Schwing. Right now I have it in one of those medium size suite cases with the small wheels that you see people pulling through airports. It fits perfectly in it and my two lenses are wrapped and inside the camera. Dark cloth, exposure meter, lupe, etc are in the outer zippered pockets. The film holders (9) are in their own separate case. All that is left is the tripod - an old surveyors tripod with a Majestic head.

Film holders in case - 15 lbs
    Tripod - 15 lbs

Will the jogging stroller carry my weight and do it in the gravel and rocks? I'm not going to drag this stuff up the side of a mountain but would like to take it for easy hikes on our local unpaved nature trails.
    Will the jogging stroller handle the weight of my gear?

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.
    I don't know if it will carry your weight. Perhaps a piggy back ride or a wheelchair would work? Just kidding.

Yes, mine would carry your weight, but I think that would be top end. You could get a double jogging stroller which is usually rated for 100 pounds I think.

Yes, unpaved nature trails are no problem. The wheels are like bicycle tires but with less weight than a bike would carry. So taking them on trails of mulch, gravel, dirt, grass, etc would be fine. Not so good with really soft surfaces or really big gravel like softball size stones. Just think of a bike. I have used mine in Zion, Bryce Canyon, Joshua Tree, and many other places. Somewhat problematic on trails with many stairs. They are manageable on stairs but 5-10 stairs rather than 200 for example. The stroller is also helpful at crowded lookouts because it takes up some space so people aren't crowding around your gear so much.

One last question Jerold - I am guessing there may be occasion where pulling your rig would be easier than pushing (up hill on rough terrain). Have you had to do that, pull the stroller backwards (behind you) so that the front wheel is now trailing? Does it function well like that?

One last question Jerold - I am guessing there may be occasion where pulling your rig would be easier than pushing (up hill on rough terrain). Have you had to do that, pull the stroller backwards (behind you) so that the front wheel is now trailing? Does it function well like that?
    I've never had to do that. It is almost always easier to push and I am not sure how stable it (or the gear) would be pulling it up hill. Going downhill, it has a wrist leash to keep it from getting away.

Joshua Tree, California

How about one of these?

http://www.sherpacart.com/

Ouch... Might I suggest a lighter 8x10 camera? Compared to the cost of film, the cameras are basically free, and if you can save yourself some hassle, why not?

A beater 2D will weigh in at less than half your current setup, and can be had for the cost of a family trip to the movies. Even a user Deardorff is 12 pounds, and only costs as much as 100 sheets of color film.