Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Developer for Trix 320

Best Developer for Trix 320

I used trix 320 for my DV trip because the only other thing hunts had was Tmax 100 and figured the ISO would be too low. And I had heard trix is great stuff, I've personally never used it. I was wondering what I should use to develop this stuff to get best results. I hear alot of people swear by D76 with Trix. I don't have any D76 but I have some Sprint developer and Adox Adonal, would I get better, worse, or similar results from either? All I can find online for kodak developer is TMAX, HC110 liquid, and D76 powder. I'd rather use liquid seeming thats what I've become accustomed to and I generally use up my chemistry within 6 months to a year.

Basically I want a decent tonal range without too much contrast (if possible). It was sort of bright in DV so I imagine the negs will be mostly contrasty anyhow. I'm also pretty partial to slower developments, 9 minutes plus.

Re: Best Developer for Trix 320

HC-110 is my personal favorite.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

You can fnd TMAX & HC110 but no D-76??
    This is very strange!
    Ansel Adams liked the looks of Tri X in HC-110 dil. B You might try that.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

ya I looked up dilution B and it's like 5 minute development, I've never really done anything that quick but maybe I can try it out. I have been going the Ansel route lately with my switch to tray development so maybe I should just go all the way.

The lab I rent space from has D76 1:1 to use for free however I can't be 100% positive on the dilution or the quality of it. So using it on my death valley stuff is a huge risk. I can't find liquid D76 anywhere, maybe there is no such thing. I hear Sprint is similar to D76.

UPDATE: Sorry for stacking this post up with an enormous amount of questions but I want to make sure I have the dilutions right in my head. For dilution B HC-110 I would use 1 ounce syrup and 32 ounces water, for dilution H I would use .5 ounce syrup and 32.5 ounces water? I assume this because H is half strength of B and I use roughly 33 ounces developer seeming I use small 5x7 trays. If this is wrong call me on it because I don't want to mess my film up over a technicality.

Eric Biggerstaff

Kodak D-76 is always a powder, you mix a stock and then dilute to working strength. If you are looking for a liquid version then Clayton F-76 comes to mind and there are others, check out the selection at Freestyle. However, if you want the true D-76 then I believe you are stuck with the powder.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

If the film is truly important to you and you don't have prior experience developing it, then I highly recommend that you follow Kodak's recommendations religiously:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...4017/f4017.pdf If you do, you will not be disappointed.

D-76 1:1 is a good developer (I've used it for years) but Xtol 1:1 is better. Xtol is packaged as a 2-part powder to make 5 liters of stock solution. That's a lot of developer but it's fairly inexpensive ($10) and a stock solution will last 6 months in a floating lid tank which you can be purchased for less than $30.

Good luck and post something if they work out.

Thomas

There is no "BEST" developer for Tri-X or most other films.
    Get one and learn to use it with the film and it will be the "BEST" for you.

I dilute the syrup 1:50 into distilled water and develop for 8 minutes. That should give you a decent starting point for your own tests.

Quote Originally Posted by mentalcrisis00 View Post
    ya I looked up dilution B and it's like 5 minute development, I've never really done anything that quick but maybe I can try it out. I have been going the Ansel route lately with my switch to tray development so maybe I should just go all the way.

The lab I rent space from has D76 1:1 to use for free however I can't be 100% positive on the dilution or the quality of it. So using it on my death valley stuff is a huge risk. I can't find liquid D76 anywhere, maybe there is no such thing. I hear Sprint is similar to D76.

UPDATE: Sorry for stacking this post up with an enormous amount of questions but I want to make sure I have the dilutions right in my head. For dilution B HC-110 I would use 1 ounce syrup and 32 ounces water, for dilution H I would use .5 ounce syrup and 32.5 ounces water? I assume this because H is half strength of B and I use roughly 33 ounces developer seeming I use small 5x7 trays. If this is wrong call me on it because I don't want to mess my film up over a technicality.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    I dilute the syrup 1:50 into distilled water and develop for 8 minutes. That should give you a decent starting point for your own tests.
    Thank you Graves, I realize it's all about preference and experience. However I've only been doing 4x5 gung ho for about 4 months. There are a lot of developers and films I'm not experienced at all with. I have been reading up on the forums and in the Ansel book series but there's nothing that compares to hands on experience. If I can get feedback and opinions to make my process better before I attempt experimentation than I'll take what I can get.

I have a few sheets of trix left from my trip so I can do a few test shots and try different developers before I do anything with my important stuff.

Thanks again all I'll be going to the lab this friday so hopefully next week I'll have some stuff to show off.

3d Visual Effects artist

I like HC-110. I don't know about other developers, but HC-110 and Tri-x has proven (to me) to be a very forgiving combination, I love it!
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com