Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ebony RW810E/SW410E from Japan

Re: Ebony RW810E/SW410E from Japan

I finally got an respone, apparently, there was a technical issue. I am looking forward to meeting the master himself and at least ordering the camera of my dreams! I cannot wait^^

I would order thru a distributor w/Visa/MC if I were you..just in case there is something wrong with it...Jim at Midwest is a great guy..
    And yes..I ordered a 5K Ebony cam from Midwest in 2013..3 mos later..right from Japan.. it came in with issues..so be careful here...all were cosmetic issues..tooling scratches on the wood and metal all over the cam..that were the results of neglectful and poor manufacturing and QC..they/Ebony just didn't look or care..they just shipped it out anyway..so be careful..Japanese manufacturing..aint what it used to be..
    And yes..we got it all straightened out in the end..I had to live with the defects..but got 3 lensboards in exchange..and yes..Ebony cheeped out on me..I wanted an extra lensboard or 2..and they flat out refused..hows that for great customer service..direct from the manufacturer..as a recompense..for crappy QC on their part..for a very expensive cam..chintzing out on ..2 extra lensboards..that cost them..basically...nothing to make..nice..
    If I ordered directly from Japan..I highly doubt the end result would have been even close to satisfactory..so thx much to Jim here for seeing this thru...and being a great intermediary..
    Here is an example of some scratches on the front of cam..even my almost 60 year old eyes..immediately saw these as I opened up the box..even w/o my glasses on..I was shocked..esp in lieu of the gobs of worshipfulness..heaped on this camera company..
    Shades of Wisner..and at least Wisner..wouldn't have cheepened out on the lensboards..as recompense..
    These kind of issues are all over the cam..

I am sorry for your experience, but I was convinced by the build quality of two different Ebony models I handled myself. Way ahead of what was presented to me by Shen Hao, Chamonix or other Chinese/ Eastern European low-cost-cameras. And aesthetically more pleasing IMHO than the metal cameras available.

I am located in Germany, using a distributor here means you cannot use or look at the camera before, the distributor will order the camera from Mr. Sakanashi for you and for 10min of work he will "earn" approx 1000-2000$ ! If the camera has a problem, he will communicate to Mr. Sakanashi... That does not make a lot of sense to me, to be honest.
    I respect craftsmanship, so I spent my money where it is used to make the product - whenever possible.

And if you can take that German/EU dealers "cut" to purchase a return plane ticket, and a night or two in Japan while picking up your camera, I think that a bit more enjoyable than paying him for handling the telephone for you

Just a thought

-Dan

It will be 11 days :-)

I am sorry for your experience, Thx bro...
    but I was convinced by the build quality of two different Ebony models I handled myself. Way ahead of what was presented to me by Shen Hao, Chamonix or other Chinese/ Eastern European low-cost-cameras. And aesthetically more pleasing IMHO than the metal cameras available. You are correct there..and for a price..

I am located in Germany, using a distributor here means you cannot use or look at the camera before, Same here..
    the distributor will order the camera from Mr. Sakanashi for you and for 10min of work he will "earn" approx 1000-2000$ ! Now that's interesting..is Ebony undercutting their dealers..? Or is it that you just want all your euros..to go all to the manufacturer..?
    If the camera has a problem, he will communicate to Mr. Sakanashi... That does not make a lot of sense to me, to be honest. Don't say you haven't been warned bro.. If there is a problem..I wish you..much good luck!!
    I respect craftsmanship, so I spent my money where it is used to make the product - whenever possible.
    Suggestion..when you get your camera..really, really eyeball it..every mm..
    I know.. I know..
    Ebony is the greatest...yada-yada..you probably will be too high on cloud #9 when you are there..to be totally objective..
    And.. I really like mine..despite the defects..
    So...
    Have fun man!

Just to make something clear: Mr. Sakanashi clearly stated that he is unable to underbid it's national distributors - according to him he relies on them.

But here is the price difference between a Japanese vs. German distributor:

SV810E is 874800 Yen at yodobashi (that's less than 7500€ incl. German tax) while here in Germany the same camera costs over 8930€! - that's a price difference of 1500€ or more than 1900$!

Quote Originally Posted by e View Post
    Shades of Wisner..and at least Wisner..wouldn't have cheepened out on the lensboards..as recompense..
    These kind of issues are all over the cam..
    That is...if you ever got...your camera form ron...who towards the end could not ship a lens board...free or not...let alone a camera..QC?.. forget about it...shellac coating?..you got it!..

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    That is...if you ever got...your camera form ron...who towards the end could not ship a lens board...free or not...let alone a camera..QC?.. forget about it...shellac coating?..you got it!..
    I bought a Wisner Technical Field 8x10 in 1988, and took delivery in late 1989....after many phone calls and letters. The camera was fine and I just sold it last month after many years of service. I was always concerned about using heavy lenses on the front standard, which seemed the weak link in his 8x10 Technical Fields. I am really intrigued by the design of these Ebony non-folding 8x10s. These would be a quick set up, especially if a smaller lens like the 240 G-Claron is left attached. My problem with folding field cameras has always been the slow setup of un-folding the thing. I wish the price was a little lower.